I've won my CCJ

Options
2»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long ago did you get/clear the cheque?

I can't find the thread now but there is a horror story of a cheque being reversed after clearing someone's account.

While unlikely, I'd probably keep the car for a while - someone else may well know if the cheque can be reversed.

Then take it, and all the keys, to the garage and hand them over. Get someone to film you doing it and with some proof of the date (newspaper).
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Due to the conflicting advice given by complete strangers on the internet I think you need to contact Citizens Advice
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Due to the conflicting advice given by complete strangers on the internet I think you need to contact Citizens Advice

Wheres the conflicting advice? As far as I can see, everyone has advised of the same thing - the car isn't the OPs. If they didn't agree to return rejected goods then they are an involuntary bailee and as such have a duty to take reasonable care of the goods and make them available for collection. The owner has up to 6 years to make a claim based in tort (or based on simple contract).

The OP can relieve themselves of the duty of care early by sending two written notices to the owner providing certain details (their name, address etc) and the notices can be sent at the same time - unless monies are owed in relation to the goods in which case they need to allow 3 months between the notices.

If these notices have been sent and the owner still doesn't collect then OP can sell or dispose of the goods. However if they sell them, it needs to be fair market value (no mates rates) and any monies from the sale after reasonable & necessary expenses would belong to the owner.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure