Half of those who take time off for mental health issues have to borrow to make ends meet - MSE News

Almost half of those who take time off work due to mental health issues have to borrow money to make ends meet, while 42% go without essentials such as food and electricity, a new report shows...
Read the full story:
'Half of those who take time off for mental health issues have to borrow to make ends meet'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• Indout96Indout96 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not to take anything away from Mental Health but people who take time off work for anything will run short of money. I am going in for an operation in December - it will be two weeks minimum without pay (except SSP pittance) and up to 6 weeks says consultant.
    In reality it will be the two week minimum as I cant afford any more time off.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
  • trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only half? I'm surprised it's not more than that.

And I agree with Indout96 that physical illness will also result in borrowing. I wonder if, in the case of mental health, the lack of money feeds into the mental health issues, makes things worse, and becomes a vicious circle (whereas a broken leg will still mend even if you have to borrow money).
    Would be interesting to see the comparable stats for physical illness.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides