Debt and a baby

Options
jbkmum
jbkmum Posts: 293 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 October 2018 at 10:11AM in Marriage, relationships & families
Would you wait til you were debt free to have a second child?
I want to wait, husband doesn't.
£5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!

Comments

• Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Could you not meet half way and wait a couple of years to get the debt down as much as possible?
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    A baby is a big decision and will likely slow down debt repayment, but at the same time I understand feeling like wanting to do it now before it's too late. Plus you already have 1 child (I think that theoretically a second child isn't perhaps that much more expensive than 1...)

Only you can work this out between yourselves . My husband and I are currently expecting our first baby despite having debt (around 8k). It's a lot less than your debt and I know we will have to pause paying much more than minimum for a few years but didn't want to wait years to start a family (we can't afford to repay that much a month even without children!).

It might be worth trying to calculate what you could repay a month if you did have a baby and how much it would slow down repaying that 50k to get a better feel for if it worth it
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Depends on your ages, where you're living, the age gap between kids, what debt you have and if it'll only get worse. So many other factors that nobody can really advise. I don't have debt nor do I have kids. But who doesn't have debt really in this day and age? Hard to live without it. If you're managing it and can afford extra child care and prob time from work, go for it.

Your sig mentions £50k-odd debt. Does that include a mortgage or is that literally just debt? That would scare me if just debt and not the mortgage...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    Options
    Surely you can't afford another child with 50k in debt? You mention in your diary taking on a second job, could you keep up payments if you are on maternity leave?
    Have you considered going bankrupt as that will give you a clean slate.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could of asked this question myself!

I'm 35, husband is 29 and we have a 4 year old son who started school last month.

Husband wants another baby where I want to wait (possibly a very long time as I'm happy with 1 :rotfl:)

We owe £14,000 plus our mortgage of £217,000.
    Now that we're out of paying the high childcare fees of £850 a month I really don't want to go back into it!

Although my mum no longer works and has said she would look after a 2nd child when I went back to work.
    But in half terms she looks after our son so would mean every 6 weeks she'd have 2 of them to look after :eek:
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Surely you can't afford another child with 50k in debt? You mention in your diary taking on a second job, could you keep up payments if you are on maternity leave?
    Have you considered going bankrupt as that will give you a clean slate.

But then your stuck for 6 years with a lot of 5hings, not getting credit etc. It’s not an easy way out
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of factors. How well (or not) is the debt being managed? Is it causing you a lot of stress? Are you struggling to make ends meet while making repayments? Do you have to pay for childcare? What's the maternity pay situation? Have you kept your older child's stuff for the baby? Is your current home big enough for another person? Do you have very definite preferences about age gap between siblings?

Everybody will have a different mix of answers to that lot!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends on why the debt arose.
    Is the debt due to regularly overspending or is it due to an one off situation?

If you are not able to live within your income now how will you manage with the expense of a second child?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you owe this much money, how much spare cash will you have each week? what happens if you can't pay this debt? Where do you currently live and can you afford to rent if you lose your house? Will you have to purchase/rent another house if you have another baby?
    What's the worse case scenario regarding your income v debt and what's your plan for dealing with it if it happens?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing worse than money worries keeping you awake at night. So if you're the sort who DOES worry about owing other people money, you'd probably be better not extending your family till your debts are cleared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure