Finally took the plunge ....

Options
So after years of lurking on here whilst at the same time consolidating my debts into bigger ones and taking out further credit to spend on things I never needed in the first place. Going through several bouts of depression and anxiety, a divorce various dysfunctional relationships. I finally went on to a DMP with step change and made the first payment this month.

I have a debt free date of March 2020 but am going to try my hardest to beat this.

Growing up my mother was, and still is awful at managing money it was always feast or famine in our house, and I was never one of the cool kids with the latest gear. I think this has always stayed with me and as I got older I always thought that as long as I was wearing the latest threads I would be one of the popular ones. When I first went out to work it was also the mid 90's when credit was far too easy to come by and of all the things I learnt about at school managing my finances was not one of them!!

So I also work in finance which means that I should be brilliant at managing my finances right ?? Well according to most of my previous employers I should be !

I signed up with Stepchange who have been brilliant so far and in no way judgemental, and the fact that the constant letters & phonecalls from my creditors have stopped have made such a difference to my daily life, my mood and anxiety levels.

I recently completed a CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy course as I decided to come off the anti depressants I have been on for years. This was one of the catalysts that made me finally face up to my debt.

I realised that unless I dealt with the problem it would always be taking up space in my head. Don't get me wrong I do still worry about, especially being 38 and single, I mean it's not a great way to introduce myself on a date :-)

But in (hopefully less) 2 years I will be debt free, and have learnt to finally manage my own finances.

So this post was really to introduce myself and for anyone reading who is still lurking like I did for years, that getting help with your debts is probably the best move you will make for your mental health
Total Unsecured Debt at October 2018 £29,411
02/20 £ 6,374:j

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on getting things sorted.
  • buythedip
    Options
    Sweet, with the DMP in place hopefully that’ll free up significant amounts of head space :)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Just taking steps to know what debt you have and knowing there is an end to it is a relief.
    I can identify with a few things you have said. I also didn't know anything about managing finances and was actively encouraged to take on debt. I'm 40 next year so on a mission to be debt free and maybe slimmer by then ! Ha ha!
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Just dropping by to say:
    Good luck on your debt-free journey and well done on addressing your mental health too :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • cado1
    cado1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Just taking steps to know what debt you have and knowing there is an end to it is a relief.
    I can identify with a few things you have said. I also didn't know anything about managing finances and was actively encouraged to take on debt. I'm 40 next year so on a mission to be debt free and maybe slimmer by then ! Ha ha!

Yes I should be debt free around the time I turn 40 so life will defo begin then !!
    Total Unsecured Debt at October 2018 £29,411
    02/20 £ 6,374:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family