putting a charge on a house

Options
I am not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Four years ago I lent my sister £3000 as part deposit to buy a house. I transfered the money into the client account of the solicitor that she used. The agreement was that she pay me back in 3 years when she could re mortgage. I did ask the solicitor at the time if I could somehow secure the loan by putting a charge of the house, her reply was that there wasn't time before the purchase and my sister would be in danger of losing the house if there was a delay.
My sister did re morgage the house but she did not pay me the £3000 back. I have also found out that she also has other loans is in arrears and is likely to have the house reposessed ( sorry or however you spell that)
A bit late I know but I would like to put a charge on the house to ensure that I at least get a chance of getting my money back.
I have contacted the Land registry and they have given me a choice of 4 forms to fill out and 2 booklets to read one 42 pages long the other 25. It all looks very confusing and I need HELP. I might need to go to a Solicitor but am reluctant to lose more money.
Has anyone had a similar experience or know what I should do. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    The best advice, especially in situations like this is paid advice. Anything else is likely to be opinion. And that is my opinion!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless she agrees you have to apply to the courts.

In any event if she has remortgaged then she may be in negative equity and you wont get anything anyway.

Its likely to be an expensive lesson I'm afraid.
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Clapton, the chances are that if she has other debts in arrears then they will have already secured a charge and therefore there would be insufficient equity to repay those let alone yours. I am afraid in cases where there are multiple debts it is a bit like everyone taking their place in the pecking line to see if any crumbs remain!
  • thank you for your replies my sister has agreed to the charge but it remains to be seen if i actually get my money back ... an expensive lesson indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure