high income high debt!

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    bmthmark wrote: »
    I agree not exactly helpful. I'm sure most people would be 'knackered' if anyone were to be out of a job

I was out of work for 18 months, well I actually did do some part time shifts in a pub towards the end of that period. We cut our cloth, reduced spending to the minimum and we got through it using our savings. But we had been learning to be frugal for some years by then.

op I would say keep plugging at it. It won't be perfect to start with but the more you do it, practice, try something out and are happy with that change so you try something else then the better you get. With your disposable income you could easily chuck an extra £1000/£1500 at the debts and get it done in less than 2 years and still have a good amount of disposable income for day to day life
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    and after you've wiped out the debt, you need to build a 3-6 month emergency fund!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    personal loan..................14500.....338.9.....3.7
    barclaycard....................9850......208...... .6.9
    barclaycard 2..................4700......100.......6.9
    HSBC...........................6000......180...... .0
    Halifax........................8500......220...... .18.9
    mbna...........................6000......180...... .19.9
    Total unsecured debts..........49550.....1226.9....-

Reading between the lines, I'd say the reason why you've had your 'lightbulb' moment is that you've maxed your credit cards. The fact is that unless you actually get to the root cause, then overpaying your debt is only going to lead you back to overspending eventually.
  • optimizm
    Options
    Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    personal loan..................14500.....338.9.....3.7
    barclaycard....................9850......208...... .6.9
    barclaycard 2..................4700......100.......6.9
    HSBC...........................6000......180...... .0
    Halifax........................8500......220...... .18.9
    mbna...........................6000......180...... .19.9
    Total unsecured debts..........49550.....1226.9....-

Reading between the lines, I'd say the reason why you've had your 'lightbulb' moment is that you've maxed your credit cards. The fact is that unless you actually get to the root cause, then overpaying your debt is only going to lead you back to overspending eventually.

Hi, We actually have about 20K of available creidt between us, which is terrifying. I dread to think the mess we could be in if we had not had our realization

You're right about the overspending though. We have actually been working on this for the last few months, before we posted on here. . We are being super frugal at the moment, possible too frugal. We need to set a realistic long term budget that we can stick to
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    There is a danger with families of above average incomes for them to become complacent about debt levels. The thing is though none of us know what is around the corner so living as if things will never change is naive and risky. On the soa it shows you as having spare income and you obviously don't as you have no savings and almost a whole years salary worth of unsecured debt. You know where you have gone wrong so that is a start but I would urge you to start a spending diary and become a lot more financially disciplined.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    optimizm wrote: »
    Hi, We actually have about 20K of available creidt between us, which is terrifying. I dread to think the mess we could be in if we had not had our realization

You're right about the overspending though. We have actually been working on this for the last few months, before we posted on here. . We are being super frugal at the moment, possible too frugal. We need to set a realistic long term budget that we can stick to

That's a good point about not going too far the other way. Your budget going forward has to be realistic and maintainable.
  • LoulaBelle
    Options
    do you not claim child benefit - its available to everyone regardless of income, I think its £20 a week for the first child
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bmthmark wrote: »
    I agree not exactly helpful. I'm sure most people would be 'knackered' if anyone were to be out of a job

Sometimes you need the carrot, sometimes you need the stick.

Yes, most people would be knackered if they were out of work, but being out of work can happen to most people, so it's not an unreasonable comment to make, nor eventuality to consider & plan for.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LoulaBelle wrote: »
    do you not claim child benefit - its available to everyone regardless of income, I think its £20 a week for the first child

It might be available regardless of income but if you earn over £50k a year like the OP does you and claim child benefit you are then hit with the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge.
  • optimizm
    Options
    Apologies for not replying for a few days. We took the opportunity to get away for a few days - house sitting for relatives in Dorset. It was a much needed break and it didn't really cost anything as we took our own food and drink ( from Lidl), in fact the only money we spent in 4 days was on fish and chips by the sea.. We decided to apply a 'no internet' rule to our few days away, as we both spend far too much time glued to Iphones.

I had underestimated how much this debt stuff had taken its toll on my wife. We had lots of time to talk during our break and its clear that I need to offer her more support. She's stressed and worried about the debts and has been losing sleep. I was not aware of this, so I feel bad for that.

In keeping with my profile name on here, I am a naturally optimistic person. This can be both a blessing and a curse. I will generally look for the positives in most situations and tend to not worry excessively, instead preferring to look for solutions. The down side is that I can sometimes take risks without weighing up the worst case scenario. My wife is more level headed and therefore she is finding the debt situation harder to deal with mentally. She suffered with some depression a few years ago, and whilst this was not linked to anything financial, I am determined not to allow this situation to push her back into that place.

We have decided to focus on the 'budget' rather than the 'debt'. As many of you have stated, the debt is a symptom and we know that we have to deal with our spending. If we can do that, the debt will reduce quickly. We accept that it may take a few months before we nail this.

I tend to approach things like a bull at a gate,however we know that we need to take a realistic approach to this. I compare this to losing weight- a sensible steady approach will almost always lead to sustainable results, as opposed to a crash diet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure