PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

ASDA Improved Recipe Corned Beef

I am pretty partial to corned beef pie and corned beef hash and have been making both, pretty successfully even if I say so myself, about once a month for more than 10 years mainly using ASDA tinned corned beef. However in recent months things have not been going so well. Everything turns out as a splodge. Only today I noticed that the spare tin of ASDA corned beef says "improved recipe"
Hash can be recovered by cooking for longer but pies are a disaster.
Is it me? I will, of course try an alternative tin of corned beef next time but just wondering if the "improved recipe" is causing anyone else problems.

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sorry but no idea about Asda corned beef but I usually use Princes which seems OK still.

Do you keep your corned beef in the cupboard? If so it could be because it's too soft to start with. I always keep mine in the fridge to firm it up.

Denise
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Not an ASDA customer so can't comment on their corned beef but, as a general observation, the words "new and/or improved recipe" on anything give me a sinking feeling as it's generally anything but! :D

Princes is fine but we switched to Sainsbobs own and find that as good but cheaper. I always keep mine in the fridge as it's much easier to slice/dice when cold.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks for the heads up about Sainsbob corned beef. Will try that next time I go there. Again it's a 30 mile round trip as in Sittingbourne so don't go often.

Agree with you about the new/improved label - it's usually anything but!

Denise
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2018 at 6:05PM
    Yorkslass - you are right to be sceptical when something is marked "New Improved . . . " To me it usually means the manufacturers have tweaked the recipe in such a way as to make more profit from the item.

It's years since I bought corned beef but this discussion is making me hungry. I haven't tried it but someone told me a month or two ago that Aldi's tinned corn beef is good. Has anyone tried it? I'd love to hear your opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure