PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Compost Question (please don't open if you're eating your tea)

Options
Hello!

I hope this is the right place to post, I'm needing some compost advice please and I thought maybe old stylie is the best place?

We have three chickens (hoping to rescue more soon), seven rabbits (all rescue) and as a consequence, lots of poo (!!). I understand you can put rabbit poo straight on the garden but we have so much we have to compost some too. We have a large lawn and so lots of grass cuttings, and also a giant tomato tin that we burn stuff in, so a lot of ash once that gets half way full.

Is it ok to mix all this together in the compost bin, can we put any directly on the garden at all? It would be for veggies as well as plants and trees. My husband wants to take some to the tip because he says it's too much! But I keep making him save it. (Putting that in writing makes me feel like I might need help actually! :rotfl: )

All advice welcomed! Thank you! <3

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Chicken poo is 'hot' - if you put it straight on the flower or veg beds it can kill things. I put it in a composter, with green stuff, shredded paper etc and it breaks down (and reduces in volume) but you need a few months for it to break down. I do occasionally empty the poo straight on to empty veg beds in winter, on the basis that it will have broken down before I want to plant anything.

Definitely don't waste it - if you can't use it all, bag it up in old feed sacks and offer it on Freecycle, I'm sure it will be snapped up.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agreeing with PollyWollyDoodle - don't waste it! It's rocket fuel for plants. Yes, it does need to be composted, mixed with lots of green & brown stuff in layers, ideally - cardboard & shredded paper do count as brown, along with straw/leaves etc. - but if there really is too much for your situation, list it on your local freebie site or FB allotment group & someone else will be very glad of it!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh lucky you! Dont waste an ounce of it. Most keen gardeners would give their right arm for some of this stuff without having to lug heavy bags of fertiliser from a garden centre.

However fresh animal poo is high in amonia so you will need to compost it down for several months to avoid burning or damaging plants. Add grass cuttings, cardboard and shredded newspaper to your composters. You can add the ash too.sand give it a bit of a stir and possibly a drop of water from time to time it it starts looking too dry. Dont forget that the mass will eventually decrease in size to about 60% as it all rots down.

You can either sprinkle the bonfire ash straight onto the bare earth in winter or mix in in with the composter but don't put wood ash on any bare area where you're about to grow potatoes as apparently it can cause problems.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd like to own a rabbit, and useful poo is a very handy side-effect. However I'm less than keen on having it embedded all over my lawn (I wasn't impressed at spending a whole hour clearing the leaves from my lawn prior to its last cut of the year at the weekend). I'm fascinated how you incentivise the rabbit to poo in just one place.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for the delay getting back, thanks so much for your replies! This sounds like it might work well as we use auboise/hemp stylie bedding for the rabbits and hens and there's hay and newspaper in there too. It's great to know it's all usable!

There's some allotments not far away actually too, thinking on. I'm sure they could use any excess &#55357;&#56842;

VfM4meplse the rabbits are in a huge run together as the males have been done (apart from one who is anti social and he is waiting for his own run to be built). They have a huge Ikea plastic under bed storage drawer they use as a loo. Mostly! There is the odd one who is a bit random but we haven't sussed out who that is yet &#55357;&#56836;

Thanks again everybody!!! xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport