Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4 replies 681 views
moochymoomoochymoo Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
Hello all! I am in awe of your commitment.

Finally decided I had better get my finances in order and my mortgage sorted out! I'm early 30s and dislike debt...
Id like to become mortgage free in the next few years - so a spreadsheet is on my TODO list!

Mortgages (B2L):
£50,000 - 15 years left. Tracking mortgage (House worth 600-700k)
£250,000 - 20 years left. Tracking mortgage (House worth 500-600k)

Income (after tax)
£16,000 per month

Major outgoing - rent:
£2500 per month

I want to clear the debt over the next 5-10 years. Sooner the better! Thanks all!

Replies

• Hi moochymoo, I am new here too and hoping to get MF.

i am sure others will be along with advice but perhaps you could give some additional details on your outgoings?
    £16k income a month seems like a very health pot to start some serious over payments. Think you might be MF before me! good luck.
  • bexster1975bexster1975 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭
    I expect there is no " advice" as this doesn't look like a tricky fix. I agree SOA would tell you what OP spends. Let's assume it's £6000 a month, that leaves £10000 a month to pay off mortgage. If OP has been earning £16000 a month fir even 12 months, they should have £100000 to pay off mortgages if this is what they want to do.

Assuming obviously that there is no inaccuracy in the OP details....

Bexster :)
  • thanks! No inaccuracies.

Between 6-10K per month is correct. I am going to try and save 5K per month so aim for 60K per year. Paying off the mortgages still seems like a way off.

It'll help logging it here. Thanks for the replies
  • Hi moochymoo, I am new here too and hoping to get MF.

i am sure others will be along with advice but perhaps you could give some additional details on your outgoings?
    £16k income a month seems like a very health pot to start some serious over payments. Think you might be MF before me! good luck.

Spend 6-10K per month. Restaurants, PT, gym, city breaks. I would cut down on some of the luxuries to reach my goal.

The mortgages cover themselves on the properties with a few hundred quid to spare.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals