£55K in debt, need advice?

Options
124»

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Non payment will trigger calls and letters automatically (all computer generated) I would simply write to each creditor, explaining your financial situation, tell them your taking advice from stepchange, and a DMP is looking likely, say you will be in touch in due course with your repayment proposals, but for now you need time to evaluate your position.

30 days is the normal breathing space (MSE trying to get that extended to 6 months) but you can take as long as is necessary as long as you keep creditors informed of what your doing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • thetoffeeshadow
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Non payment will trigger calls and letters automatically (all computer generated) I would simply write to each creditor, explaining your financial situation, tell them your taking advice from stepchange, and a DMP is looking likely, say you will be in touch in due course with your repayment proposals, but for now you need time to evaluate your position.

30 days is the normal breathing space (MSE trying to get that extended to 6 months) but you can take as long as is necessary as long as you keep creditors informed of what your doing.

So would advise sending these letters before the next payment is due?
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When I was in a DMP with Stepchange, they sent me a template letter to send to the creditors to advise them I was going on a DMP and they would be contacted directly by Stepchange.

Might be worth asking if they have such a template letter that they can send you.

Good Luck.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport