I want to clear every last penny

Options

Comments

• Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there any way of increasing your income? Overtime? Second job?
  • Duh18
    Duh18 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE, I’d be grateful if anybody could help me I have cleared Halifax and reduced Lloyds loan by £200.00 what would you tackle first out of the remaining below

NET salary £1085.00

Contact Lenses £20.00
    EE Phone £47.50
    House keep to parents £60.00

HSBC credit card , £6,300 (0% till December 2019 then 21.9% onwards) £160 min
    Santander credit card £2950 18.9% £60 Barclaycard credit card £500 (34.9%) £20 min
    Lloyds refinance loan £2700 9.9% £45 min (71 months remaining)
    Argos Card £225 29.9% £10.00 min

I’m currently left with £600 per month due to a salary increase, what should I tackle first? Thanks so much for help guys
  • Duh18
    Duh18 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I am currently left with £600 per month

Updated amounts

Santander credit card £2950 18.9% £60 Barclaycard credit card £500 (34.9%) £20 min
    Lloyds refinance loan £2500 9.9% £45 min (71 months remaining)
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Duh18 wrote: »
    Sorry, I am currently left with £600 per month

Updated amounts

Santander credit card £2950 18.9% £60
    Barclaycard credit card £500 (34.9%) £20 min
    Lloyds refinance loan £2500 9.9% £45 min (71 months remaining)

If it were me in I would throw £300 of that £600 against my debts.

Starting with Argos, then Barclaycard, then Santander

Within three months you will be down to just three debts left.
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £9,650 (April 2024) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
  • Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    Options
    I would start by working out how you've increased your debt so much since you started paying it off. It sounds harsh but it won't ever get paid off unless you address the habits that keep you overspending. Good luck!
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does seem that little has been paid off since you last posted. Did something happen to throw you off track?

You say you are left with £600 a month so either this is not accurate or you are wasting it. Where is that money going? Its been 6 months at least since your last post on this thread and so a good couple of thousands could have been paid off.

I know you have an online diary but I think you need to keep a daily one and list everything you spend.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You have not reduced the credit cards by much. Are you still spending on them?

You have £600 spare so should use as much as possible to get the debt down. Barclaycard and Argos are relatively small but high interest rates so you should repay them and close them down.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • David2Prit
    David2Prit Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm you still spending?

Gym - could you cancel in August and look at using a company called The Gym? 24 hours and usually cheaper. I pay £15 a month.
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    You don't really have £600 a month spare. That assumes that your car uses no fuel, and you don't ear.

You need to get a realistic handle on your expenses first. Also hand your credit cards to your parents. Ask them to hide them.

Then pay off that argos account. Just phone up on your next pay day and pay if off in full. Is insane interest.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow , what are you using your credit cards for?

At the moment you are living in the cheapest housing you will ever have in your life, £60 a month wouldn't cover a third of my council tax!

Seriously as the others have stated above you need to find out what you are spending on.

Is there something you have missed out like smoking, gambling, nights out?

You will never be in a better position than you are now to pay your debts.

Go over to youtube & watch some of Dave Ramseys video's to give you some sort of motivation
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure