Damaged Hair Help

Options
Hi
I am hoping that someone can give me some advice. I went to the hairdressers and she got distracted while strightening my hair and has really badly damaged my hair it's very dry and frizzy in patches. I don't use any heat on my hair and I have tried using a couple of intensive conditioners on my hair once a week but after 6 weeks it's still not improved. Does any one have any recommendations for treatments I can use to repair it?
Thanks
Charlotte

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried olaplex?

I have the pump bottle. I tend to use a combination throughout the week. Treseme intensive mask in coconut, herbal essence for day to day and the olaplex once or twice a week. But you can get a more regular conditioner which was fab (just a bit small and expensive for me everyday)

I also have a milkshake foam leave in conditioner which is good & smells fab
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mistaken. I actually havw fiberplex not olaplex. Think they are very similar.
  • Lucyjoanne
    Options
    Don’t ever use that hairdresser again! Sounds like she burnt your hair. If she did, I don’t think there’s anything which will help other than cutting it off. (But I’m not saying do that)

Have you tried going back to the salon and pointing out what she/he did? They could offer a conditioning treatment as they are at fault.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    You will have to get the dryness / burnt hair cut out I am afraid
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't repair hair- hair is dead, it can't be bought back to life in the same way as an internal organ can if it has suffered damage. But what you can do is apply products to patch things up and try to hide the damage.

I'm assuming it's too close to your scalp to have cut out because this would be my first suggestion. Having used various chemicals on my hair over the years as well as a reliance on heated styling tools (which will only cause more damage btw) my hair was wrecked and despite everything I threw at it.

It took so much time and effort and energy just to get my hair to look decent after having washed it (daily) and it was so expensive with the upkeep that if you can at all avoid it, get a cut but make sure if you go back to the salon- which you are totally entitled to do if you are not happy for your cut (they should rectify it for free) ask for someone else and to be honest if they are worth their salt they will offer you someone with more experience if not the owner or manager themselves if they themselves are stylists. Or just go elsewhere.

IME, best products will vary on your budget and what sort of hair you have, but trying to limit further damage from all and any heat- including but not limited to that which comes from the water you are using. At least one mask a week on the lengths only and if you get build up, a cleansing shampoo but apply to roots and rinse through the ends afterwards.

Olaplex, Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer Extreme, Kerastase Oleum or Masquintense are all great treatments. If you are brave enough, a brand found in ethnic hair and beauty stores by Aphogee (you need the 2 step protein version). It's horrible to use, but does a great job. Follow the instructions to the T though, it matters with that one. IME masks don't make much of a difference the first time you use them. Run them weekly and you should see a cumulative result.
  • *~Zephyr~*
    Options
    If the hair is burnt, then you need to get the worst of it cut out, nothing will make it look better until the really bad bits are gone.

Once you've had a good cut, keratin containing shampoos are really good at smoothing dry hair. My bum-length hair is very prone to being frizzy and dry and I have spent a small fortune over the years on shampoos, conditioners and treatments to make it look half decent! Just recently I found a little treasure - Creightons Keratin Pro Smooth & strenghten shampoo and conditioner. 99p in Home Bargains! I took it on holiday and my hair was so soft even after 2 weeks in the sea and sun! Its my new favourite :D
  • iamtati
    Options
    Honey, egg yolk and olive oil do this mask once a week and your hair will become much softer and start growing faster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure