Molar Extraction - Do I get an implant?!

Options
Hi All,

I'm only 22, and have 25 teeth left, due to having braces, and wisdom teeth removal.

I look after my teeth and care for them, but have just been told by my dentist that I will have to have another extraction of my lower right molar (The very back one).
This is worrying me greatly, because it will mean having only one molar left on one side.:mad:

The Dentist has suggested to have a filling for now, but she says eventually I will have to have the molar removed (She looked very concerned..) The reason being is because my annoying wisdom tooth was impacted, and leaning behind my back molar, meaning over time it caused decay deep in the tooth, which apparently is hard to fill.

So my questions are:
Is this bad, to have only one molar on one side?
Should I consider an implant?

Please give me some advice!! Would be greatly appreciated :(

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    To have an efficient chew, it has been deemed that you only need 10 teeth biting against 10 teeth - so 20 in total assuming they all bite against each other.

Having orthodontic extractions and wisdom teeth out isn't particularly unusual, and having a second molar decay due to an impacted wisdom tooth is not that uncommon either.

Assuming everything else is healthy, and nothing is particularly out of the ordinary in there, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing this molar with an implant when/if it eventually goes, but I cannot see you, and I might just be a 14 yr old with a dental text book that belonged to my grandpa, so what your own dentist says is far more important than any opinions on an internet message board! :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Saffythecat
    Options
    I am missing a lower molar on each side, and also had four adult teeth extracted for orthodontic work when I was about 12/13. The gaps are not visible when I smile, and I can chew fine. My dentist did not recommend having implants or anything else to fill the gaps - and she stood to make a load of money if she had done! But as Toothsmith says, your own dentist is best placed to guide you.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go elsewhere for second opinion.To a dentist that does not do NHS work. Cavities on those second molars due to impacted third ones indeed are hard to fill. But I have done them and other dentists havendone them ( usually the tooth better to have a crown(onlay) and may need root treatment) and without doubt that's what I would have done if it was my tooth. A lot of work and money but possible.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Go elsewhere for second opinion.To a dentist that does not do NHS work. Cavities on those second molars due to impacted third ones indeed are hard to fill. But I have done them and other dentists havendone them ( usually the tooth better to have a crown(onlay) and may need root treatment) and without doubt that's what I would have done if it was my tooth. A lot of work and money but possible.

I don't see why a second opinion is necessary.

The OP didn't say whether this dentist was NHS or private, but either way, this dentist was willing to fill it ( maybe even has filled it), whilst warning the patient that it is likely to be a tooth with a poor prognosis. All perfectly correct, and probably what you or I might do, or like to have done.

At 22 yrs old - it is highly unlikely that whatever is done to this tooth will last her the rest of her life. Depending on how bad the cavity is (something only the dentist who has seen it can comment on) will depend on what can be done.

Nothing the OP's dentist has said or done sounds wrong, so it's wrong to sow doubts in her mind. What would a second dentist say or do differently, apart from lie and say if she spends £x it will last her the rest of her life?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • K96
    K96 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!

I do feel a lot better now about my teeth!!
    Had a filling today, to try and save the tooth. The dentist said she tried her best to fill it, but it was hard to get to. I will go back in six months time..Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport