10 million state pension forecasts viewed online since 2016 - how to check yours - MSE News

An online tool which checks how much state pension you're likely to get - also known as your 'state pension forecast' - has now been used 10 million times, new figures show. Here's how to check your forecast...
Read the full story:
'10 million state pension forecasts viewed online since 2016 - how to check yours'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    But still no online way to find out whether paying voluntary contributions to fill gaps in someone's National Insurance record is worthwhile or not :(

Has anyone on here written to them to check whether purchasing voluntary contributions would be worthwhile or not, and if you have what address did you use and how long did it take for them to get back to you?

I think it might be worth my wife buying a couple of pre-2016 years, but she'd rather write than call them.

I think the address is as follows, but if someone knows for sure then that would be very helpful :)

The Pension Service 9
    Mail Handling Site A
    Wolverhampton
    WV98 1LU
    United Kingdom
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    That address is the one. Contacting the FPC by phone is good way of finding out. 0800 731 0175

It is not difficult to work it out for yourself from the data provided in the forecast. There are several threads on here on the subject.
  • Jayleen
    Jayleen Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2018 at 3:18PM
    I've just logged into the Gateway website and they can't verify my identity !
    The first question " Do you have a valid UK Passport ? " My answer was No.
    The second question was my address .........and then they did a credit check !!!!!
    What the hell ? What does having a Passport and a credit check have to do with my future pension ?
    So then I went to check on my NI contributions and it was the same damn questions and the same , "can't verify my identity ".
    Whatever happened to just putting in your NI number ?
    There's something not right about that website .
    In the end I rang the Future State Pension Centre and asked for a statement and the first thing she asked me was what my NI number was .
    A credit check to get information about your pension , really ?
    I'm dreading what's coming in the post now .
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Would you like anyone who knows your NINO to be able to access your State Pension forecast?

They use details in your credit history to check your identity. This is not a "credit check" and will not affect you credit score.

It is similar to the difference between opening a savings account (which doesn't affect your credit score) and opening a current account which does.
  • Jayleen
    What has that got to do with how much pension I should receive ?
    They sent an extra code for logging in to my mobile phone .
    So because nothing is showing up on my credit history they can't or won't tell me how much pension I should receive next year ?
    They only used to need your NI number to see how many years you'd paid in .Will I even get a pension because I don't have a passport or any credit cards ? It's ridiculous .
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jayleen wrote: »
    What has that got to do with how much pension I should receive ?
    They sent an extra code for logging in to my mobile phone .
    So because nothing is showing up on my credit history they can't or won't tell me how much pension I should receive next year ?
    They only used to need your NI number to see how many years you'd paid in .Will I even get a pension because I don't have a passport or any credit cards ? It's ridiculous .

You're confused. They are trying to establish your identity before they allow you to see personal data. None of these things will effect whether you get a pension or not. Perhaps you should get a written statement instead trying to get online access if you'd find that simpler?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    greenglide wrote: »
    Would you like anyone who knows your NINO to be able to access your State Pension forecast?

They use details in your credit history to check your identity. This is not a "credit check" and will not affect you credit score.

It is similar to the difference between opening a savings account (which doesn't affect your credit score) and opening a current account which does.

And of course your "score" is completely meaningless, bears no relation to whether you get credit or not and so an ID check is not an issue.
  • Jayleen
    I've had to ring and ask for a written statement by supplying my NI number .
    I just find those two questions bizarre , they could have asked me anything like how long have I lived at this address , my Birthdate . I've even had emails from them before with my full name across the top , heck they know enough about me by now and I still don't see how a credit check on an address has anything to do with pensions . I may have just moved into that address and it certainly didn't help them to identify me did it ?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2018 at 5:33PM
    Sending a paper statement to an address they know is yours is completely different to allowing anyone who simply says they are you to have access to your personal information. Once again, they are not credit checking you and it has nothing at all to do with how much pension you will receive. As you do not have your identity held by the passport office they are simply trying to verify your identity using the information held about you by one or more of the credit reference agencies before they allow you on line access to that sensitive data. No doubt you would be loudly complaining if they allowed a random stranger to access your details simply because they said they were you.
  • Jayleen
    The point is they wouldn't let me on either .......................and I am me !!!!!

They could have asked a few more questions instead of just blanking me out . It was their fault their credit check failed .

How do they know it's me when I ring up ? I could have an intruder that's planning on staying . They would still receive the post .
    Just checking up with your NI number after logging in used to be fine before . I just think that they are making it harder for people to check up on their pensions .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure