Private pension increase from 55 in 2028?

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    dessie360 wrote: »
    As one of the minority who could be affected by this (I'm in the zone of hitting 55 in Nov 2027 and currently eating through savings scheduled to last me until then) - I've been eagerly scanning for updates in yesterday's Budget. Nothing to be found regarding private pension age increase, which is good news, right? Or am I naive to think it would be linked to The Budget and could drop as new legislation at any time? Thoughts?
    They don't announce things which have already been announced, unless they are changing them.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    They don't announce things which have already been announced, unless they are changing them.

Unless it's extra funding.....;)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    This thread is about the age at which you can private pensions, not the state pension.
  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw that HL have started stating in their documentation that the age to access their SIPP is increasing to 57.

I asked support about it, saying that I don't think it's strictly true to say that because there is no legislation yet. Their reply was:
    I can confirm that the minimum age at which you can access the funds in your pension is increasing from 55 to 57 from 2028.

The reason for this increase to the pensionable age is due to the increase to the minimum state pension age. There is no exact date set for this currently, though it is fixed for the year 2028.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I posted about this a couple of weeks back. I've had recent paperwork from Scottish Widows/Clerical Medical who say 'It is expected that, with effect from 6th April 2028, the minimum age from which you can normally take your pension benefits will increase from 55 to 57. Thereafter it is expected that the minimum age will be no more than 10 years before your state pension age.'
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "There is no exact date for it, but the date is..."

That doesn't even make sense. Have you asked them for a specific link from a government website to back up their assertion?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Treasury have confirmed that the age increase is still coming even though the legislation has not yet been put in place.

They published that last summer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

That doesn't even make sense.

No it doesn't but that wasn't they said, even though you put it in double quotation marks.

They said "There is no exact date set for this currently, though it is fixed for the year 2028." "Fixed" here is used in the sense of "scheduled", as in "We've fixed Saturday 6th June for Aunt Ethel's 80th birthday celebration."

HL's statement is correct. The pension age increase is scheduled to take place in 2028. This has recently been reaffirmed. No political party is campaigning to change this and there is no other reason to think this might change. The fact that no legislation has yet been put in place yet is irrelevant as there has been and remains no need to put any legislation in place. There are 9 years left to do the parliamentary paperwork and plenty of more pressing matters to process in the meantime.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

That doesn't even make sense. Have you asked them for a specific link from a government website to back up their assertion?

It makes a little sense to me.

Aren't they trying to say.that the change will be made in 2028 but dont know WHEN in 2028.

It's back to my OP.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure