NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

Wales to help 'severely mentally impaired' get council tax discount after MSE campaign - MSE News

The Welsh Government has become the first in Great Britain to launch a website and leaflet to help 'severely mentally impaired' residents access a council tax discount worth almost £400/year on average - but MSE founder Martin Lewis says others must follow suit...
Read the full story:
'Wales to help 'severely mentally impaired' get council tax discount after MSE campaign'
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail


  • poppy10_2poppy10_2 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It's a bit of a regressive tax break, this one. Pensioners in general are already sitting on vast unearned housing wealth. With the council tax discount, the wealthiest with bigger houses will get a bigger refund than the poorer in small houses. All this comes from council budgets which are already stretched and means that people who are already well-off get money back while people in need are struggling to access services
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The SMI disregard (and exemption) are something I see a lot of clients about - if it's in legislation then they're entitled however I still think that there's a lot of un-needed vitriol aimed at local authorities for 'not advertising' the disregard.

    The local authorities advise the disregard as much as they are required to (and some a lot more) but at how far are they expected to go ? It's good the Welsh government had added extra guidance regarding it but what about all the other disregards - you can't, as a public body, publicise one aspect any more than the others and remain fair to all.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum