Quick question re: DMP

Hello

Just a quick question as I am at work. Following advice decided against even looking at a loan.

My question is, is it better for me to try and contact my creditors myself and speak to them regards payments and try and arrange a payment plan with them or is a DMP more appropriate as a debt advisor has more experience ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Replies

• UncannyScotUncannyScot Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi

Not a dumb question at all. Some folks do self manage a DMP and others use the likes of StepChange to deal with their DMP.
    I suppose it may depend on how confident / able a person is in handling or dealing with creditors.

If you haven't already done so I would seek FREE advice from the likes of StepChange or your local CAB Money advice team. There are other options available other than a DMP and they would help you to find and explore these options.
    Hope that helps and good luck.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    82.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can only echo what UncannyScot says :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals