PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leaky cafetière

I use a single cup cafetière and have replaced a fair few due to leaking of coffee grinds into the coffee. The fine wire mesh seems to get bent or not fit properly against the glass jug thus leaving tiny gaps where coffee and grinds are leaking up into the coffee when plunging. I do wait a good time for the coffee to brew and settle to the bottom before plunging. I don’t seem to get this on my 2 cup or 6 cup cafetière. Just wondering if it’s because I buy cheap single cafetière from sainsbury and I should upgrade to a bodum?

Comments

• I had that problem with my bodum cafetiere (although it was a good 10 years old). Managed to buy a new mesh from a local hardware store, as I remember it was £2-3.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • If you can't buy a replacement net then treat yourself to a Bodum, worth every penny and should be able to get one for £12-15 and if it lasts 10 years at a pound odd a year its a very good buy, or maybe look in the CS sometimes they are in there
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bodum and others same sort of filter all can bend .
    Try two mesh filters if you have any old ones .
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Never been able to tell the difference between a cheapo supermarket one and a bodum.
  • my cheap one did that, I just cut a square of muslin cloth and put it over the mesh .. problem solved, the cloth can be easily rinsed/washed under the tap :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • I'm currently using a 'single' cheapo one from A$da which doesn't give me any problems at all. Have a larger (4+) Bodum one which sometimes gives me a bit of trouble ................. guess it could be swings 'n' roundabouts. When it DOES give me trouble, I usually have a bit of a twiddle with the mesh and try to bend it back again - but will definitely have a go and the 'piece of muslin' idea :money:
  • Thanks JJ

I have thrown so many out - I wish I’d kept th mesh that’s a great idea - I will buy another and use this mesh x
  • Brilliant idea thank you xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport