edited 24 September 2018 at 2:04PM in Debt free diaries
9 replies 713 views
123mortgagefree123mortgagefree Forumite
22 Posts
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 24 September 2018 at 2:04PM in Debt free diaries
Hello!

Wanting to keep track of my journey & thought I would start a debt free wannabe diary :)

I live with my partner and my son, but due to unforeseen circumstances my partner is now out of work. We will be living off my wage alone for the time being & I guess I've had a huge wake up call as to how much money we do waste on stuff we definitely do not need!

I'm tightening up the purse strings, currently setting up a mug printing business with old equipment we purchased years ago (again, silly purchase which we can hopefully bring some money in with!) & listed lots of eBay & Depop. Here are the figures for current debts:

September 2018:
CC: £2,370.12 - 0% Balance ends Oct 19
Loan: £1,570.55 - Paid off June 2019 with monthly payments but would love this to be sooner.
Total: £3,940.67 :(

Looking for lots of tips to help save for Christmas, plus ways to chip away at the debt still so once my partner does find a job it's a little easier to get by.

Saw a great picture on social media which described how I'm feeling perfectly: 'One Day or Day One - You Decide'.

So today is my DAY ONE! :j

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,

We have a specific diary thread, so i will move your post over there.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    82.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy shiny new diary :)

Anything you could maybe sell to help to bring the debt down?

Do you feel up to posting a list of your income & expenditure?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • 123mortgagefree123mortgagefree Forumite
    22 Posts
    Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    Happy shiny new diary :)

Anything you could maybe sell to help to bring the debt down?

Do you feel up to posting a list of your income & expenditure?

Hi Beanielou! I have a running spreadsheet with my income and expenditure, I think i’ll build up my confidence a bit more on here before posting!

I’ve listed a few items on Ebay, I know I have loads of stuff in the loft that I could shift so I’m going to have a rummage at the weekend.
    22 Posts
    Forumite
    Oops! Haven't been on for a month! Definitely going to keep this as updated as possible to keep an eye on spending habits plus my debts lowering.

The past month has been pretty tough, my other half has started a new job but hasn't had a wage in two months, the 1st of the month can't come quickly enough!

I'm hoping with this first wage we can get rid of the O/D he's had to go into, then pay for big chunks of Christmas so that's out of the way.
    I'm going to be eBaying away again & want to do a challenge for November, just not sure what?

I've already made a start on my sons gifts for Christmas, I've been scouring eBay for toys I think he would love for Christmas and have bought some real bargains, and saved a fortune!

Here are the stats this month!

October 2018:
    CC: £2,315.23 - 0% Balance ends Oct 19
    Loan: £1,400.00 - Paid off June 2019 with monthly payments but would love this to be sooner.
    Total: £3,715.23

I would have looked to get under £3,000 by the end of the year but don't think it is possible with Christmas so I would love to get as near as possible.
    82.9K Posts
    Forumite
    YOu could join the NSD challange :)

You dont need to pay a fortune for Christmas.
    REmember it is just one day!
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    22 Posts
    Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    YOu could join the NSD challange :)

You dont need to pay a fortune for Christmas.
    REmember it is just one day!

Thank you! Also going to try the Grocery Challenge as I've just tallied up how much I've spent so far since I got paid and it's pretty shocking. Definitely going to attempt the NSD challenge. :)
    22 Posts
    Forumite
    Wow 3 months since I updated! Time flies when you're trying to save.

Very happy to say that the figures are a lot lower than October:

January 2019:
    CC: £2,276.30 - 0% Balance ends Oct 19
    Loan: £818.00 - Paid off June 2019 with monthly payments but would love this to be sooner.
    Total: £3,094.30

I only paid the minimum on the CC over the past couple of months with Christmas, the 0% runs out in October so hopefully I can pay off as much as possible before then and maybe transfer again, get a small loan to pay it off? (If the rates are better than I would be paying!)

Happy that I managed to sell an old printing machine we never used, they are paying and collecting tonight so hopefully chuck some money at the credit card :j

I've also got lots of bits to put on eBay which I'm going to do tonight whilst my son is in bed and hubby is out at football.

Feeling positive at the moment, I've got some lovely weekends away booked with the girls (very thrifty with using my TopCashBack and Jan discounts to get good deals on trains and hotels!) and some days off work booked off with the family to hopefully go on nice trips.

Come on 2019 let's have ya!
    82.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Looking good :)
    Not long til the loan is gone :)
    ***Keep plodding***
    22 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks @beanielou !

My situation has changed again, as I am now currently selling my home and starting afresh with my son. I'm hoping I can keep selling costs down to a minimum & pay off as much of my debts as possible so I can try and add to the money I will get back on the sale.

I've tried match betting these past few weeks and made £50 which I'm chuffed about! Plus made another £50 (before fees) on eBay selling old clothes. Not managed to throw these at the CC this month as I'm off on a hen do this weekend, so using it as spends for whilst I am away.

Here are February stats:
    CC: £2,211.31 - 0% Balance ends Oct 19
    Loan: £705.57 - Paid off June 2019 with monthly payments but would love this to be sooner. 4 payments to go!
    Total: £2,916.88

Under the £3k mark finally!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals