Manager off work for 3 months (and counting?)

Options
2»

Comments

• mollstewart
    Options
    What's the root cause of your anxiety/stress? Is it purely more work than you can sensibly handle, or is it work that would normally be 'above your pay grade' and which therefore you are unsure about how to handle? It's tough if you are expected to step up to the manager role without even the opportunity to contact the manager and ask for a bit of guidance.

So, you need to speak to whoever is next in line, manager-to-manager (because effectively that's what you are now), and say 'X has been off for quite a while now, and although I don't expect you to discuss when they're likely to come back, we need to talk about how this is all going to work in the long term.' Then go on to list the difficulties and repercussions resulting from the absence (not from the point of view of blaming the person who's off, or even how much stress you're under, but how it's likely to affect the business).
    Have some solutions up your sleeve (take on a replacement, take on extra staff, promote you, give you more training etc etc). The important thing is that you discuss (rather than rant, whinge, blame, plead etc), and that you use the word 'we'.
    As others have said - this could be the opportunity you've been waiting for.

Hi trailingspouse,

I think it's both. I was thrust into this position really suddenly and with contact cut from my manager immediately I had no idea as to what I was picking up, and with it being summer holidays at the time I had no one to report to (I am now reporting to the Director). The Director and myself are in constant contact and meet at the beginning of the month to discuss what needs doing for the following, but I think it's knowing there is no "finish line" which I find quite daunting.

You can probably tell, I'm quite young and haven't been in the "working world" long, so I have no idea how to navigate this... it's not really something people talk about so you can prepare yourself for these things.

Thank you, found your response very helpful.
  • mollstewart
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Appreciate you're having a bit of a moan, but what do you realistically expect your company to do about it?!?

It doesn't sound like the reason your manager is signed off work is easy/simply/straightforward to understand - like (say) a broken leg, and it's also possible that your employer is almost as much in the dark as to any possible return date as you are. This will also make finding an interim cover difficult, and probably not cheap either.

As this has been going on for some time, it's not unreasonable to ask how long it's anticipated to persist, given the increased workload you're dealing with. And if you're struggling, it's not unreasonable to ask for assistance, either with elements of your job, or the manger's job which you can't do. You might also enquire whether this extra work might be recognised in any financial way - but the point is that it all requires you to initiate the conversation - which you don't seem to have done.

Sorry, yes, I put my hands up that I am having a moan - you can probably tell how young and naive I am.

I think you're right with regard to my company being in the dark as well, as they're not sure on a return date. Also going through a bit of a tight time with money at the moment, so they said they wouldn't be hiring a temp, but am, hopefully, getting a bonus this month.

Thank you for your response and pointers.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Ask for support dealing with the newer management stuff.

Most decent managers understand the issue for people new at it.

Much of the stuff is prioritising and dealing with issues promptly.
    Also being aware of the bigger picture and what is important.

Once a month meetings may not be enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure