Great Cheap Road Safety Gear Hunt

Options
6 November 2007

What's it all about?

Now winter's coming parents are understandably more concerned about their kids' road safety. Plus many people cycling to work and back need to ensure they're visible to motorists.

There are many sources of effective but cheap road safety gear so I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' wealth of knowledge to gather together a list of places both online and on the high street where it can be found for less. Or ideas for making your own and tips for keeping kids safe.

What to do

Click reply to let other MoneySavers know where to get good road safety gear for less.

PS. The first road safety deal below was originally spotted by MoneySaver irocan below. Thanks for the top spot! I liked the idea so much I decided to turn it into a Great Hunt and this post has been inserted to provide a more detailed explanation for MoneySavers coming from the weekly e-mail.

Thanks

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• irocan
    irocan Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    3M has a special offer on their high-visibility and reflective gear. Selected products are 50% off as part of their Be Seen On the Road campaign. http://www.3mselect.co.uk/c-255-be-seen-on-the-road.aspx

I got 3 items for £13 including the (£3.95 shipping charge)- I saw just one of them in a cycle shop for £12. Bargain!
    threadbanner.gif
    Gratitude turns what we have into enough.
  • lofielectronic
    Options
    Just to add to this, I've also seen the thin reflective vests for sale in Poundland, how much you ask?...
  • 008ken
    008ken Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add to this, I've also seen the thin reflective vests for sale in Poundland, how much you ask?...

Give us a clue then.:rolleyes:
  • madmoys
    madmoys Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    plus you can get 5% by going through Quidco
  • NDB
    NDB Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    http://www.hivis.net/ Seems pretty cheap for the high vis gear.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed - Poundland have Adult size yellow high viz vests, and kids orange high viz vests- we have two, the quality is fine - and for just a pound you can buy an extra one for the car boot aswell- stick it in with the spare wheel in case you have a puncture and need to be safe and seen.

Putting one of the vests over your rucksack is also a good way to be seen- it's a lot cheaper than any reflective backpack I've ever found, and is transferable too.

If you're handy with a sewing machine I bet you could make a reflective dog coat out of one too!!:D

p.s. most reflective gear can be washed up to 15 times before it loses effectiveness, so don't shell out too much- you need something that's easy and cheap to replace.

threadbanner.gif
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Ems*Honie
    Ems*Honie Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Texaco garages are giving free road safety dvds out to children. Thet feature a little boy called Hector and his friends, 5 'cartoons/lessons' of about 5 minutes each. My little girl is 4 and found it a little spooky but my 6 yr old liked it. We were also given a high reflective sticker :) I don't know if they are free with purchase, or just free, there is a sign outside one of the stations nr me that says to come in and ask for one.

http://www.chime.plc.uk/news-and-media/press-release-detail/420.aspx
  • WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    Ikea have got a new safety range, exclusive to their IKEA Family members - it's free to join up and is just a loyalty card type thing, but added benefits are weekly special offers, discounts in the restaurant and free tea and coffee.

Their website says:
    Protect your home and the people that live in it – at home and at play

The IKEA FAMILY safety range features a variety of products that will help keep you, your family and your home safe. We have smoke alarms, assault alarms, first aid kits and much more. And to make sure you’re seen wherever you go we also introduce a whole range of reflective products.

safty_april_169x196.gif

I think a high-viz vest is about £2.99.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • egt
    egt Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    For the children you can get all these high visibility garments from companies that sell school uniforms, they are often very cheap. I have seen children wearing the armband snappers, which they seem to love, vests and bags.

Try these guys, Price & Buckland, www.price-buckland.co.uk You can't order through the website but when you call (0800 85 43 61) you can get the armbands for only £2 - They're great for the kids.
  • heavenly_chic
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a road safety officer and have boxes and boxes of the stuff going for free so contact your locla council and ask if they have any stuff you can have.

On certain flowers at morrisons they are currently giving away free kids high vis jackets

free high vis stickers (as well as othe road safety stuff) from http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/catalogue/ctrs.htm

Hope to help!

Katie :D

threadbanner.gif
    Titch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business