We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• Summer12
    Summer12 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I might have misunderstood what someone told me:o but does anyone know if it's true that a SAR request is now free of charge please?

Hi

Yes I think they are free now (as of May this year) due to freedom of information act. Pretty sure there must be a template letter on AAD site.
    I would keep paying the £1 to that creditor, sounds like they are just trying it on. You’ve demonstrated that’s all you can afford so that’s it. You’ve come so far and done so well so don’t let them get to you now. X
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,171 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I might have misunderstood what someone told me:o but does anyone know if it's true that a SAR request is now free of charge please?

Yes its now free for all.

Information and template letter on ICO website :

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Could I ask advice regarding an unenforceable debt? We have been self managing for the last 2 months which has been great :D

We have a debt of approximately £7000 with Nationwide which is unenforceable and after the fab advice from this forum have decided not to pay this creditor. We sent a letter to them in August, including a copy of our I&E, when we set up our self managed DMP to keep them informed saying we are paying our priority debts only. We received no response to this letter from them however we have now received a copy of a letter that they have sent to StepChange saying that they have not received any payments for September and October. Our account with SC is now closed.

Should we write to them again to explain that we are now self managing our debts or just ignore the letter completely?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Take care,

BDFSH x
  • lulabelle01
    Options
    This is where I’m currently at with my dmp...

I’ve sent holding letters and received responses. RBS are refusing to freeze interest and want me to send back a I&E form. MBNA have froze interest for 30 days and want to see my I&E.
    I’ve generated this through NEDCAB for what I pay and have left out anything my husband contributes to is this okay? The way I see it is it’s not his debt so it’s no-ones business what he adds to the pot so to speak.
    I’m not ready to start paying these companies what I can afford as my emergency fund is non existent yet, how do I delay paying them? I’m happy to send them the I&E’s they’re asking for but I’m worried they’re going to want me to pay them ASAP.
  • Summer12
    Summer12 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I’ve sent holding letters and received responses. RBS are refusing to freeze interest and want me to send back a I&E form. MBNA have froze interest for 30 days and want to see my I&E.
    I’ve generated this through NEDCAB for what I pay and have left out anything my husband contributes to is this okay? The way I see it is it’s not his debt so it’s no-ones business what he adds to the pot so to speak.
    I’m not ready to start paying these companies what I can afford as my emergency fund is non existent yet, how do I delay paying them? I’m happy to send them the I&E’s they’re asking for but I’m worried they’re going to want me to pay them ASAP.

Hi
    I did the same as you left my husband out completely but halved all the bills. No one has questioned it. I also wrote to my creditor informing them of dmp, then a month later sent I & e and a letter stating however I wouldn’t start paying for 6 months as I needed an emergency fund. All were fine except one who replied as I had demonstrated I could afford x amount I should pay that (M&S). I ignored them and continued with the £1 payment. They then accepted it. Stick to your guns!
  • jools1985
    Options

I’ve sent holding letters and received responses. RBS are refusing to freeze interest and want me to send back a I&E form. MBNA have froze interest for 30 days and want to see my I&E. .

RBS also wrote to me saying they would not freeze the interest. They charged interest the first month, then didn't charge interest the second month. I had a letter from then this week - almost three months since I first contacted them - saying my account has now been terminated and they will default me in 28 days. I hope they do default me. Hopefully they will also freeze your interest after a month. :)

MBNA said they'd freeze interest for a month. I phoned them as I had a couple of texts contradicting that and the lady I spoke to was very helpful and said she'd freeze the account for 60 day rather than 30.
  • lulabelle01
    Options
    jools1985 wrote: »
    RBS also wrote to me saying they would not freeze the interest. They charged interest the first month, then didn't charge interest the second month. I had a letter from then this week - almost three months since I first contacted them - saying my account has now been terminated and they will default me in 28 days. I hope they do default me. Hopefully they will also freeze your interest after a month. :)

MBNA said they'd freeze interest for a month. I phoned them as I had a couple of texts contradicting that and the lady I spoke to was very helpful and said she'd freeze the account for 60 day rather than 30.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed RBS go the same way with me then. I don’t want to have to phone either company so i’ll Play the game and send them what they’ve asked from me and i’ll See where I go from there. Did RBS ask you who else you owed money to and if it was secured to anything?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not been around for ages...all sorts going on, but just stopping by to say hope everyone is ok and all DMP's going well. Just had a F&F accepted by L*well...:T:T Debt was £367 and they accepted £250. Hoping we might get the same sort of discount with some of our bigger ones. W*sc*t never accepted our offers, so we are carrying on with Token payments at the moment. Going to update my diary so as not to fill this thread with all my rubbish.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Not been around for ages...all sorts going on, but just stopping by to say hope everyone is ok and all DMP's going well. Just had a F&F accepted by L*well...:T:T Debt was £367 and they accepted £250. Hoping we might get the same sort of discount with some of our bigger ones. W*sc*t never accepted our offers, so we are carrying on with Token payments at the moment. Going to update my diary so as not to fill this thread with all my rubbish.

Your posts are not 'rubbish' Ploppy :D

Well done of the acceptance of your F&F. That works out at about
    32% discount - not bad :beer:

None of my F&Fs have been accepted - mind you I did go in at 80% discount to start with :rotfl: I've had some counter offers, but nothing low enough to tempt me yet.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could I ask advice regarding an unenforceable debt? We have been self managing for the last 2 months which has been great :D

We have a debt of approximately £7000 with Nationwide which is unenforceable and after the fab advice from this forum have decided not to pay this creditor. We sent a letter to them in August, including a copy of our I&E, when we set up our self managed DMP to keep them informed saying we are paying our priority debts only. We received no response to this letter from them however we have now received a copy of a letter that they have sent to StepChange saying that they have not received any payments for September and October. Our account with SC is now closed.

Should we write to them again to explain that we are now self managing our debts or just ignore the letter completely?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Take care,

BDFSH x

Personally, I would ignore them - if the debt is still with the original creditor.

Is the debt definitely unenforceable, or is it just 'currently' unenforceable? What I mean is, have they sent through the CCA documentation and you've had it confirmed by experts that it is unenforceable, or have they not yet sent through the CCA documentation which makes the debt 'currently' unenforceable until they do send docmentation through? There's a huge difference.

Finally, if the CCA documentation has come through and been confirmed as UE, then when I did this, I took all my advice on how to respond (or not as in my case) through the website that gave me confirmation of UE status. I used the All About Debt website/forum and their advice and guidance was spot on.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure