DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had an unsolicited letter from Lloyds yesterday informing me that they wrongly charged interest and fees of £58 on my account when they shouldn't have done. Nice to receive a refund from a bank without having to grovel for it:rotfl:. It would have been nicer to receive the refund in the form of a cheque at this spendy time of year but instead they have taken it off my outstanding debt. It's a nice little unexpected bonus nonetheless:j

That takes my total debt over all creditors to tantalisingly close to the £9000 mark, a day I never thought would come.
  • Moveslikeagger
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses.. Will keep everything in writing and tell them not to phone me and communicate in writing. Hope this does the trick regards to them calling etc! Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help and advice
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had an unsolicited letter from Lloyds yesterday informing me that they wrongly charged interest and fees of £58 on my account when they shouldn't have done. Nice to receive a refund from a bank without having to grovel for it:rotfl:. It would have been nicer to receive the refund in the form of a cheque at this spendy time of year but instead they have taken it off my outstanding debt. It's a nice little unexpected bonus nonetheless:j

That takes my total debt over all creditors to tantalisingly close to the £9000 mark, a day I never thought would come.

Awesome achievement to get to {almost} £9k. You are amazing CBC :)

Well done
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also - I know you have sorted out your budget in NEDCAB, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to go back over it. You think it's realistic, but I would recommend bumping every possibly category up and if that means your available budget for DMP drops from £410 to £300 (or less) per month - then so be it. If after a few months you find you can really afford more, you have to option to either write and offer more to each creditor or save the difference towards a F&F fund (my preferred option) :)

Seriously get that available budget as low as you realistically can. Don't look at how much longer it will take to clear the debts - look at it as saving for settlements offer at reduced amounts which will shave years off your DMP if you can manage this.

Wise advice as ever, January:T. I think a lot of us, me included:o, start off at a roaring speed with the only aim of paying the debts off in the shortest possible time and without seeing the bigger picture. Great to have someone put us straight right from the 'off':j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Well done

I don't feel amazing, I went about it all wrong at the start and the first couple of years in DMPland were pretty gruelling:eek:. If I knew then what I know now, eh?
  • Moveslikeagger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll take it and pay a bit less per month, will give me a chance to put some money in the EF, will be handy especially with a baby on the way! Just one more thing, on nedcab it asks for Partners income, I’ve left this blank. The debts are in my name so guessing it’s ok to do that as I don’t expect her to contribute and soon she won’t be able to with only statutory maternity pay! Thanks for your responses
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Well done
    I don't feel amazing, I went about it all wrong at the start and the first couple of years in DMPland were pretty gruelling:eek:. If I knew then what I know now, eh?

Just meant to say, in case you think I'm superhuman to have paid off so much in such a relatively short time:rotfl: especially as I only have 2 unremarkable pensions as my source of income:( that I also have £6400 in Unenforceable Debts too. As I have no intention of repaying that money I have removed it from my total debt balance and (almost) from my mind;)

I just wish I'd realised the UE situation at the very start of my DMP when I was overwhelmed by debt. I could have saved myself thousands:eek:. As it is, I don't feel at all bad about not paying any more as they have had an obscene amount of interest payments from me over the pre-DMP years and kept upping my credit limits whenever it was obvious I was maxed out and struggling to cope anyway. I know I can't put the whole blame on them as no one forced me to accept the increased limits. At the time though I was like someone drowning being thrown a lifeline:o

While ever these two creditors don't hassle me I'm keeping quiet. Should the worst come to the worst I can always pay them off, hopefully, with a 10% F&F with money I have already saved from not paying them at all for several months:j. It's that or nothing and I'll tell them so.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just meant to say, in case you think I'm superhuman to have paid off so much in such a relatively short time:rotfl: especially as I only have 2 unremarkable pensions as my source of income:( that I also have £6400 in Unenforceable Debts too. As I have no intention of repaying that money I have removed it from my total debt balance and (almost) from my mind;)

I just wish I'd realised the UE situation at the very start of my DMP when I was overwhelmed by debt. I could have saved myself thousands:eek:. As it is, I don't feel at all bad about not paying any more as they have had an obscene amount of interest payments from me over the pre-DMP years and kept upping my credit limits whenever it was obvious I was maxed out and struggling to cope anyway. I know I can't put the whole blame on them as no one forced me to accept the increased limits. At the time though I was like someone drowning being thrown a lifeline:o

While ever these two creditors don't hassle me I'm keeping quiet. Should the worse come to the worse I can always pay them off, hopefully, with a 10% F&F with money I have already saved from not paying them at all for several months:j. It's that or nothing and I'll tell them so.

Whatever you think.... I think you are amazing :j:j:j

I think every person on the Mutual support forum and others dealing with their debts are amazing. They've hit rock bottom, but rather than run away and hide their heads in the sand, they've taken control and are dealing with their debts. That's not easy to do with stress and depression and worry are overwhelming.

We are ALL amazing :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • booksandbacon
    Options
    Just had an 80% off settlement offer from payday lender Sunny, what a result! This will mean paying £166 on a £834 debt - it’s all come a bit out of the blue after months of back and forth emailing and letters, I haven’t even paid them anything as part of my DMP yet.

Here is my question - they have emailed me this offer and I need to call them to pay it, the email has said that it is a full and final settlement of the loan although my credit file will be marked as partially settled - is this all okay?
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Hello all. I just wondered if anyone is having any problems getting direct debits set up with creditors. Namely wescott who are dealing with a Sainsbury's loan I had. I ring and set up the direct debit then get the mandate through the post then it doesn't go out of my bank. They write as I've not paid I ring etc etc and it goes on. This month will be the third time it hasn't come out. It was due to be paid in the 7th and still hasn't left my account. I'm going to wait for chasing letters then write back and pass comment about it I think. I'm not messing around they either want the money or not. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I've been paying for three years odd with no problems his has all come about since I swapped my direct debit to a new bank account in summer.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 15.5k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport