Slow and steady wins the race (we hope!)

124»

Comments

• Rach273
    Rach273 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Accepted an offer on the house today, just a smidge below asking price, fingers crossed for an uneventful sale 
    "It’s all about balance, do you see? Balance is the trick. Keep the balance and—” She stopped. “You’ve ridden on a seesaw? One end goes up, one end goes down. But the bit in the middle, right in the middle, that stays where it is. Upness and downness go right through it. Don’t matter how high or low the ends go, it keeps the balance.”
  • Rach273
    edited 3 August 2020 at 11:11AM
    Wow it's August already, how did that happen?! 

I have been working from home for five months now, its gone by so quickly, but doesn't look as though they want us back in the office anytime soon. I am so fortunate to have a relatively secure job, I can only imagine how stressful job hunting in the current climate would be. The lock down has severely limited my ability to make any additional income outside of work although I did get my all time highest payout of £32.18 from Prolific last month.

House sale is progressing rather slowly, finally got a memorandum of sale issued on the 29th July, but my ERC drops from 3% to 2% on October 1st so any delays could mean a saving of £1,200 or so - every cloud!
    Partner's house due to go on the market at the end of August, but we haven't been to see anything ourselves yet - I am still worried about falling in love with a house and loosing out because of our sales falling through so would like to wait until my buyer has commissioned the searches etc.

I'm not prioritising over payments as i'd rather save the money towards fees and costs of moving, but even so this month will see my balance drop to £123k meaning i have paid off £12k in just under 3 years which I'm pleased with.

Have got an expensive month ahead with 4 new tyres needed alongside MOT, Tax and Insurance - fortunately the money is there in savings, but I find the more I save the less I am inclined to spend it...

Savings stats for August;
    £2,322.25 in emergency fund
    £252.96 in House/DIY fund
    £1,304.89 in car fund
    £3,880.10 Total
    "It’s all about balance, do you see? Balance is the trick. Keep the balance and—” She stopped. “You’ve ridden on a seesaw? One end goes up, one end goes down. But the bit in the middle, right in the middle, that stays where it is. Upness and downness go right through it. Don’t matter how high or low the ends go, it keeps the balance.”
  • Hello diary land,
    My house is going back on the market with new agents next week after the old ones didn't ensure my buyers were proceed-able and I found out after 5 weeks that they had a property still to sell... 

I have been advised that work from home will be reviewed in March, so that will be a whole year of sitting at the dining room table. I really hope to be in a new house by then with a comfier chair!

Savings stats for September;
    £1,755.56 in emergency fund
    £222.32 in House/DIY fund
    £697.29 in car fund
    £2,675.17 Total

• Rach273
    October update is two weeks late, but I'm pretty sure my excuse is decent enough - I'm currently hobbling about in crutches after breaking my leg quite spectacularly resulting in 6 hours of surgery and four nights in hospital! Fortunately I'd already done my money shuffling before i was incapacitated. OH is being an absolute star, make me want to marry him all the more.
    My house is sold again for same amount, but different buyers. All fingers crossed that it actually proceeds this time.
    Tiny over payment of £22.60 planned to bring the balance to £122,300 in time for Halloween.
    Savings stats for October;
    £735.07 in emergency fund (large amount transferred into the wedding fund instead)
    £167.53 in House/DIY fund
    £270.99 in car fund
    £1,173.59 Total

• Rach273
    edited 17 November 2020 at 12:15PM
    Late again for the November update - all the normal markers of time seem to be missing without the usual routines of work and life in general pre-lockdown. Thankfully I have been given the all clear to return to work (from home) next week, and I am really looking forward to doing something productive with my time.
    The good news is being housebound is very conducive to saving money! A very small mortgage over payment planned for this month just to round the balance to the nearest £000. House sale is progressing slowly with exchange pencilled in for the first week of January, but it seems pointless making large over payments now when the effect on the early repayment charges will be negligible. 
    The property market seems to have slowed right down now, and we haven't found anything we are really interested in buying, so we made the decision to take OH's house off the market and sit tight until the new year when hopefully things will pick up again, so focus will be on saving to increase our deposit in the interim.

My savings stats for November;
    £842.60 in emergency fund
    £257.95 in House/DIY fund
    £203.01 in car fund
    £1,303.56 Total
  • Rach273
    Merry (nearly) Christmas!
    I'm allowed to drive again, and have pretty much discarded the crutches. I've even managed to go for some short swim sessions without drowning so car my has now had its MOT and is going in next week for a service, and OH is reluctantly letting me out unsupervised again.
    There were no real issues flagged with the home buyers survey, and the searches came back on Tuesday, so just waiting for final questions from my buyers solicitors. Looking like everything is all on track to complete in January.

My savings stats for December;
    £1,581.33 in emergency fund
    £189.01 in House/DIY fund
    £363.84 in car fund
    £2,134.18 Total
  • Rach273
    Happy New Year diary land.

Final queries received from buyers solicitor and responses sent, fingers crossed for a completion date soon as I have started to pack. There is lots of spare furniture that I would usually send to charity where we are condensing two houses into one, but none of them are accepting donations at the moment. I do have use of a barn where I can store some of it, but the sofas will end up being ruined if stored in the cold and damp for any length of time so I might offer them for free on marketplace - not sure that collecting a sofa is deemed essential travel, but hate the thought of unnecessary landfill. 

There's still nothing much coming onto the market round here, so plenty of time for me to make OH's house more homely before we relist. I have planted a few hundred bulbs over Christmas in an attempt to make his garden look brighter for spring, and will be bringing all my potted plants with me to cheer up his boring square of lawn.

In three years my OH hasn't once made an over-payment to his mortgage - I'm really quite excited at the prospect of a new spreadsheet. I will be splitting what I was paying for mortgage and rent between his mortgage and premium bonds, with the likelihood being that we will port his mortgage to the new house. I'm still wanting to make a bit of dent in the capital balance just in case we have to pay ERCs, although his ERC rate will drop to 1% in August, and I can't see us completing on a new house before then...

My savings stats for January;
    £1,920.73 in emergency fund
    £158.40 in House/DIY fund
    £524.67 in car fund
    £2,603.80 Total
  • Rach273
    Quick update for February.

Still no completion date, my buyers are getting a bit impatient, but I do feel for the solicitors who are working weekends to keep up. House is packed up and ready to go at a moments notice, but buyers need 5 days between exchange and completion to draw down their mortgage funds anyway, so no great rush.
    Am holding off making February's mortgage overpayment until I get an update re house sale. If we are going to complete this month i'd rather keep the overpayment in my bank account.

Savings as we head into February;
    £2,210.59 in emergency fund
    £120.74 in House/DIY fund
    £615.65 in car fund
    £2,946.98 Total

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback