Warning Currys misusing GDPR to force you to hand over passport & bank s/ment copies to change email

Options
Currys,recently confessed to a data breach that affected 10 million customers.
They are now cynically using the GDPR as their excuse to refuse to remove old incorrect details from their systems.
The scenario is this you go to your account & remove your old phone & email address as you no longer have that phone number & are retiring the email address. In time both will be recycled by email & phone providers & given to someone else. This is standard practice.
You ring & they promise that once it is deleted in your account settings it is gone for good.

Then you start to receive email from them after a large online purchase at both email addresses (the order details to the new & spam to the old). You fill in forms, send emails, phone etc.

End result they will not delete your defunct phone number & (now)defunct email address from their system unless you provide a copy of your passport & a bank statement. The reason they claim is the GDPR
*Make every day Caturday*

Comments

• Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 August 2018 at 10:33PM
    Options
    They are not misusing, they need to be sure it is the account holder requesting the changes.

They cannot be sure as account details presumably login details are now public.

Quite annoying but I don't see anything wrong with the ID request. If you decide to provide this, the best way is to put paper on top of the ID with Currys URL and date watermarked.

Bank statement is a odd one, see no reason for them to have it.
  • lilibeth
    lilibeth Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 August 2018 at 5:31AM
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    They are not misusing, they need to be sure it is the account holder requesting the changes.

They cannot be sure as account details presumably login details are now public.

Quite annoying but I don't see anything wrong with the ID request. If you decide to provide this, the best way is to put paper on top of the ID with Currys URL and date watermarked.

Bank statement is a odd one, see no reason for them to have it.
    Completely incorrect, this is policy now. They can deliver a big item to me without ID they let me remove the old info without ID they issue a refund without ID.I'm not requesting email changes. I'm requesting an old email they claimed was removed to be properly removed from the system & a long defunct phone number. They changes were made before I placed the recent order. They are sending order details & all correspondence regarding this to the new email without ID. They are using the old email for surveys & spam. They delivered & installed big ticket item without ID.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I would not trust Currys with my passport and banking details, it would be better to just close the account if they think it has been compromised in any way.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • lilibeth
    lilibeth Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I would not trust Currys with my passport and banking details, it would be better to just close the account if they think it has been compromised in any way.
    I agree with you. :)
    One problem they will not delete the account or the details without the copy of the passport & bank statement
  • gemini12
    gemini12 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I am glad they dont have my details as I dont have a passport and my bank statement is my business and no one elses. The only way I would supply that is if everything was blocked out and it would then become uselezss to them. I for one am getting fed up with companies wanting information they dont need.

We recently tried to order a bookcase and the cvompany concerned wanted full bank details . When asked why as we were paying by debit card they said i was policy. We replied that it was our policy not to give out bank details on the internet so we would go elsewhere.
  • owen_money
    Options
    gemini12 wrote: »
    my bank statement is my business and no one elses.

Surely its the banks business as well? I mean thats what they do?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gemini12 wrote: »
    I am glad they dont have my details as I dont have a passport and my bank statement is my business and no one elses. The only way I would supply that is if everything was blocked out and it would then become uselezss to them. I for one am getting fed up with companies wanting information they dont need.

We recently tried to order a bookcase and the cvompany concerned wanted full bank details . When asked why as we were paying by debit card they said i was policy. We replied that it was our policy not to give out bank details on the internet so we would go elsewhere.

I buy lots of things online but have never been asked for my bank details.

Not so many years ago bank account details were not a secret because they were printed on every cheque. Obviously times have changed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure