Little By Little...

Options

Comments

• Hillwalker11
    Options
    You need to check out getting a job while at Uni. It does depend on the course. One of my son's studied Architecture, the other one medicine. Believe me they spent every day at Uni and a lot longer than 9 -5. The medical student also had many placements all around the country over the 5 years of study so there was absolutely no way he could have a term time job. They both worked all the holiday periods though which helped them through the next term.
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening.

It is DS2's birthday today - 16yrs old! We went out to the Hungry Horse and got their £15 family offer. Along with a couple of extra meals. It came to £40 for the six of us, so not too bad. Not cheap though lol.

Tomorrow I will be dragging DS1 off his computer to chat about uni. He needs to make some decision about where he is going to go and whether he is staying at home or moving away. He at least has a back up plan, but I wish he would aim higher.

I need some money tomorrow to give to DS1 for his driving lesson. He had it aside, but I borrowed it from him and now haven't got it to give back to him - ooops. Well I will have it on Wednesday (payday) but he needs it tomorrow. I might have to ask DS2 if he can borrow it to me until Wednesday, so I can pay it back to DS1. I had completely forgotten he needed it back on Monday, or I would have done a small buffet or something a lot cheaper for DS2's birthday, so I could have repaid DS2 on time.

This is an absolutely ludicrous situation I have found myself in.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Phew - managed to sell a few bits on FB so gave DS1 his money back. Roll on Wednesday, Roll on Wednesday, Roll on Wednesday lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done on the FB sales and don't be too hard on yourself about the delay in repaying DS1 xx
  • redmel1621
    Options
    I think I am more annoyed about it as it is 'another debt' iygwim. We seem to owe money everywhere.

A few things have happened today: I sat and had a good chat with DS1 about university and he has decided he definitely wants to move out to stay in halls when the time comes; I sold a few bits on Fb and also decided what I am going to buy for the kids for Christmas; I also filled out a form for a refund from Ryanair as they have changed my flight times for next year, which is a stroke of luck as I needed to move the holiday date anyway. I do need to have a look if I can change the Eurocamp accommodation to the summer holidays, but I need to have a good think about how best to do the holiday.

I'm on half term and pretty bored already lol.
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Absolutely fuming with work.

They put me on the wrong pay scale at the beginning of my contract and despite having numerous conversations with HR lady, it still hasn't been sorted out. She told me at the end of September that it had been. I was also emergency taxed on my first month and she said she would get that sorted too, which she hasn't, so for the 2nd month my wages are about £200-£250 down.

I have phoned the tax office myself now and I will have my tax refunded in next month's pay. I have also emailed HR lady AGAIN about sorting out my pay grade.

It is a bit more urgent now because I need to show a payslip to my new job, to prove my salary/grade, but this will now be wrong. I am more annoyed about this than anything else!!

I bought a few Christmas presents yesterday and I have decided on main presents for my kids.

DS2 is going on a trip to South Africa with school, so I paid the deposit yesterday. I must be mad even agreeing to such an expensive school trip (£1800) but once he is working he will pay off as much as he can too. I'm sure between us we will get it paid off.

Had parents evening for DS3 and DD, which went ok. It was a bit of a strange format and the kids pretty much did the whole parents evening. I'm not sure I liked it as I don't really feel like I found out how they are doing. I found out how they thought they were doing, but that isn't really the same thing lol. We've had feedback forms to fill out, so I will be making full use of that.

I've got lots of prep to do for being back at work next week - eurgh -I suppose I should really get on with it.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    HR should have the ability to give you an emergency payment! Also valid information that you can show to new job. Sounds as though your HR team need to advertise for new new staff for themselves:eek:
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow - your HR team sound like ours!! I was put on the wrong payment when i reduced my hours last year. And also got my holiday wrong too.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Re: juggling Peter to pay Paul - so many of us understand this. You aren't alone. Well done getting through it. Hope things are sorted now it's been payday x
    Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795
  • redmel1621
    Options
    I tried to work out what work have underpaid me and it looks to be about £98 per month, then took £220 tax that should have been £0. I'm really hoping I get it all back in November's pay, as that will get a nice £600 brucey on top of my wages. That will be really handy :D

I finally sold the Givi motorbike box today, although Dh immediately spent the money on new motorbike gloves. He did need them; his own are a bit knackered and his hands were freezing and getting wet! While we were in the shop Dh tried some helmets on and fell in love with a super expensive one. Again, he does need a new one, but it so so expensive! We actually ended up having a bit of an argument about it. I was trying to tell him how much he spends whereas I spend barely anything on myself. He tried telling me the car is MINE hmmmmmmm. I'm still really annoyed over it tbh.

As far as I was aware we made the decision together to get the car. It was to replace our old car; therefore, it was just 'the family car'.

So, apparently I can no longer buy anything for myself (for the next four years) because the car and the £248 a month that is paying for the car is all for me. *that is me saying that, but it felt like that is what he was saying*

Only the other day he was saying how on board he was with debt-busting and now he is stamping his feet like a brat about a stupidly expensive helmet. He has found it online a bit cheaper and he is going to buy after all HE IS EARNING THE MONEY!!

Working class hero.
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Someone is getting coal in his stocking...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback