Indian/mixed wedding

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience with planning an Asian wedding. Obviously costs can rack up quite considerably with all the various celebrations and I would love to have customs from both our cultures but it’s difficult on such a budget. Any tips welcome! :)

Replies

• ceh209ceh209 Forumite
    865 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My sis had 2 ceremonies on the same day, a Vietnamese tea ceremony I think it was 11am, then the English ceremony at 2pm. It didn't add much to the cost as they had outfits sourced from a holiday to Vietnam the previous year and family provided the tea and ran the ceremony etc. The venue charged a little bit extra for having another room earlier in the day, but not much.

If you're talking hundreds of guests for an Indian ceremony though, that could be quite different...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • TimpuTimpu Forumite
    307 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JenB123 wrote: »
    Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience with planning an Asian wedding. Obviously costs can rack up quite considerably with all the various celebrations and I would love to have customs from both our cultures but it’s difficult on such a budget. Any tips welcome! :)

What questions have you specifically? India and its people have diverse customs and traditions, especially when it comes to weddings.

You're right, costs can spiral so pick things that are important to you both. You'll never pack everything in so pick things that stand out and that way, you'll stay within budget.

Our outfits, food and music reflected our mixed heritage on our wedding day. Indian weddings are as much about the lead up as the ceremony itself but to keep costs down we skipped the extras and just had one big day with everyone.
  • Thank you - we're at very very early planning stage and have just written a guest list. We have quite large families and with hardly any friends or any plus ones just the day guests are almost coming up to 150!

We have decided we want to have an English wedding ceremony in the day with an Indian themed party evening. Problem is my OH is Sikh and they always have a free bar! I'm struggling with how we could have all the people we want there and a free bar without the costs getting out of control. We haven't looked at venues yet so are open to anything relatively central in the UK. We want to keep the whole thing as much under £10k as we can...
  • Free Bar........:j:beer::eek:
  • nimbonimbo Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have a wedding where you provide the bar?

Village hall - or marquee type situTion offer a keg of beer maybe one of cider and then a select few spirits and mixers? Or even just stick to the kegs. It worked really well for my sister in law. She had sloe and damson gin galore with Prosecco too as well as respberry cordial for the children. Most people will find something to drink and that way you keep the costs down and end up with a limited amount of stuff left over if you limit the choices.

No one pays no need for licences (please fully check this assertion out in case I’m wrong) . You buy the booze cheap when on offer put it in some kind of bath of ice to keep it cool? Just need to make it clear to parents to be careful with their kids.

It’s what we’re considering doing. But also going to urge people to bring a bottle - as we’re trying to keep the costs down. Also most wont be invited to the day do and the party maybe the day after the wedding...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • welshbabe88welshbabe88 Forumite
    176 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could say 'bring a bottle' etc instead of a gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides