Loan offered, but not at advertised rate, should I apply elsewhere for a better rate?

Options
glo1967
glo1967 Posts: 230 Forumite
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I applied for a loan with Sainsburys bank & have been offered the loan requested, but not at the advertised rate of 2.8%, they have offered at 4.1%. Do you think it is worth applying with another lender at a lesser rate?
HOW TO SAVE MONEY - LEAVE TEENAGE DAUGHTERS AT HOME WHEN SHOPPING

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    glo1967 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I applied for a loan with Sainsburys bank & have been offered the loan requested, but not at the [STRIKE]advertised rate[/STRIKE] representative APR of 2.8%, they have offered at 4.1%. Do you think it is worth applying with another lender at a lesser rate?

It might be worth applying to another lender to see if you are offered a better rate. One more application won't hurt but beware of making multiple applications within a short time frame.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/loans-calculator/
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Hi glo1967,

I think 4.1% is a good low rate and it probably reflects your application and the data held in your credit file. If it were me, I would stick with the 4.1%

Good luck!!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glo1967 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I applied for a loan with Sainsburys bank & have been offered the loan requested, but not at the advertised rate of 2.8%, they have offered at 4.1%. Do you think it is worth applying with another lender at a lesser rate?

Give it a try, 4.1 is still a good rate.

A sensible poster who is reasonable about not being offered the representative rate.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much interest would you save if you did get offered a loan 1.3% less interest?
  • glo1967
    glo1967 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    How much interest would you save if you did get offered a loan 1.3% less interest?

The difference is probably around £600.
    HOW TO SAVE MONEY - LEAVE TEENAGE DAUGHTERS AT HOME WHEN SHOPPING
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On those figures I calculate (guess) £15000-ish over 7 years-ish.

You have the offer at a cost of £85 a year against not having any offer at all. Depends how much the need is.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    why not check with nationwide and rate setter? they have free soft search quotations which will give you an idea of APR with them.

only 51% of applicants will be given advertised rate. 4.1% is a really good deal. if you not making any further applications in the near future, then give it go... try Tesco, they give decent rates to clubcard holders too.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    A sensible poster who is reasonable about not being offered the representative rate.

agreed! :T
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    agreed! :T
    It makes a change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories