GDPR - Right to be forgotten

Options
124»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Basically the question is, if i !!!! up at work and get sacked for gross misconduct or something, can i get them to forgeddaboutit and avoid a negative reference should i find further employment?

The best you can hope for is a policy of only providing dates of employment, unless you can negotiate an agreed neutral reference.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you read the guidance and legislation most of these basic questions are covered.

If you expect to be forgotten forget it there will be so much that a company won't even know they have recorded or distributed they won't know they need to delete it or follow the regulations that apply to distribution.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Basically the question is, if i !!!! up at work and get sacked for gross misconduct or something, can i get them to forgeddaboutit and avoid a negative reference should i find further employment?
    Well, that is certainly one possible scenario.

On the flipside, it could also be the company not removing you from contact information after you've left.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I'm not sure that'll make a difference. If (and it's a big if) you can get them to forget you enough not to provide a negative reference then instead they won't provide a reference at all. Most companies consider no reference on the same level as a bad reference, rightly or wrongly so frankly you're no better off.

If this is the reason to be forgotten by an employer it's not worth the effort of requesting.

This also ignores businesses who have to provide a reference by law. In that case you'll definitely have no right to be forgotten.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure