Starting Rate for Capital Gains Tax?

p3gg
p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have a question about what happens in a "freak" tax year when all your income falls within your personal allowance (e.g. £4,895 in 2005/6) but you also have a capital gains liability incurred during the year. After your capital gains exemption (£8,500 this year), is the next £2,090 of the chargeable gain taxed at 10%, or does it go straight in at the basic rate for CGT of 20%?

I saw that someone had posted to another website that the 10% starting rate is applicable in those circumstances, but I wasn't sure how reliable this was, and would appreciate info/confirmation from one of you "experts" here on the MSE forums!

Comments

• Yes, the starting rate does apply to capital gains in these circumstances.

From the wording of your question I assume you already know that any unused part of the personal allowance would not be available.

If you would like to see this in black and white there is a nice little table at the front of the Comprehensive Tax Calculation Guide which you can get from the Revenue. (Or at least there was in the 2004 guide. I haven't received my copy of the 2005 one yet.) It may be online but I don't use the Revenue website very often.

Elaine
    If it’s not important to you, don’t consume it
  • p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Elaine,

I've just checked out the Comprehensive Tax Calculation Guide (04/05) online, and yes, it's there in black and white!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure