Being bought out of mortgage by ex - maths Qs

Options
2»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest a response of a straight 50/50 division of equity. Is it possible that she's unable to raise the finance to buy you out?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Call her bluff and buy her out

even if you have to sell if your valuation is right you win.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jamint wrote: »
    It's only now she's flagging this up as evidence of her "considerable contributions to the mortgage" and somehow this equating to her deserving more from the sale as a result. Which I naturally strongly disagree with.

Morally agree with her, legally though doesnt change anything - still 50/50.

If you like you can run the numbers to get actual figures;

How much you paid per month
    How much she paid per month
    How many months of unequal payments
    How much interest was charged on the mortgage per month
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Morally agree with her

Nah. When relationships flounder. Human instinct kicks in. Money is money. There's no sentiment involved. Nothing to do with morals.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,001 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The key fact is the valuation of £280k. Is this based on what an estate agent says, what next door sold for this year or some other information?

If that £280k is optimistic then the amount offered is more realistic.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Im wondering if she is planning to buy it with her new partner and therefore there may be a stamp duty liability, so hence the lower offer.

If the partner has property already potentially there is 12K of stamp duty to pay.

Regardless. In your situation I would go with the 50% share as you have worked out. In fact I did when I split years ago. We got three estate agents to value it and took the average figure. When the bank valuer came around... I might have steered him towards a lower valuation.

In her situation, I would be offering you the 60K and maybe offering to pay the legals as a sweetner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure