PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Glut of tomatoes - meal suggestions please!

Options
2»

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    you don't need to roast them for passatta. Boil them, puree them [if you puree the skins you end up with a thicker sauce, better for you too], cook them down again. Job done.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I open-froze about 120 cherry tomatoes earlier. Once the bigger ones and the plums mature I will probably puree down with some garlic and basil for use over the next few months. Then there are all the plants on the allotment - those that have stayed upright, that is!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 August 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Fried tomatoes.
    Just chop them into quarters and fry until soft and the juices start to run. Sprinkle with a little grated cheddar cheese and serve with crusty bread. . Sun ripened tomatoes are delicious like this on their own. If you want a little more flavour fry a finely chopped onion in the pan first or add a sprinkle of fresh oregano or basil herbs for a Mediterranean flavour.

To make tomato puree for the freezer, to use as a base for Spaghetti bolognese type sauces, chop tomatoes & onions and fry for about 15 minutes until gloopy. Zapp with a stick blender or in a food processor to make tomato purree and bag up in convenient size portions for the freezer.

Alternatively fry them with onions, a sprinkling of favourite herbs and a little water to loosen the mixture , then zapp with a stick blender to turn into tomato soup which you can freeze in one pint plastic milk bottles (which will make two good servings).

I'm currently getting a glut of small cherry tomatoes from my tumbling tomato plants, I'm just bagging them up whole for the freezer as they come in useful in winter for adding to vegetables soups and various meat casserole mixtures.
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had the tomato tart Sooty&Sweep suggested last night and it was delicious. Thank you.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Freeze whole ready to put into stews, curries later in the year.

Chop and place in the microwave with onion, garlic and basil. Cook for around 20 minutes. Then whizz up - hey presto pasta sauce. You ca n add courgette, peppers and or chilli to it for different types. (it also tastes very nice on a pizza base)

Delia Smith tomato and basil soup is delicious and uses kg of tomatoes in one hit.

Chutneys.

On top of pizza.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business