Sainsburys Bank loan rate dishonesty

Options
Hi,
I was going to take out a loan with Sainsbury's Bank recently after moneysavingexpert returned a 2.7% rate. My credit score is good, so I applied and was approved, 'subject to a few further checks' and had to wait for the paperwork to sign.
Several days later it arrived, but now the loan rate had magically become 4%??
This seems like a blatantly dishonest practice, and this website is allowing them to sit at the top of the search list with an interest rate that they apparently have no intention of giving you. I imagine a lot of people continue at this stage either unnoticed or desperate.
I searched the web and found absolutely tons of corroborating stories, along with other examples of poor practice, such as payments not being taken and up to £25 charges being applied each time, statements not arriving, and a customer service department that literally leaves people on hold for hours on end. How can they get away with this?

Needless to say, I am not pursuing this loan any longer.
Regards, Jim

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They need to give the headline rate to 51% of the successful applicants.

People with the very best credit histories self-select for the best headline rates, so they can afford to be very picky. I have a theory that if you move 2 or 3 places down the table, probably to 3% - 3.2% you'll find it much easier to get accepted at the headline rate.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JimSteel wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was going to take out a loan with Sainsbury's Bank recently after moneysavingexpert returned a 2.7% rate. My credit score is good, so I applied and was approved, 'subject to a few further checks' and had to wait for the paperwork to sign.
    Several days later it arrived, but now the loan rate had magically become 4%??
    This seems like a blatantly dishonest practice, and this website is allowing them to sit at the top of the search list with an interest rate that they apparently have no intention of giving you. I imagine a lot of people continue at this stage either unnoticed or desperate.
    I searched the web and found absolutely tons of corroborating stories, along with other examples of poor practice, such as payments not being taken and up to £25 charges being applied each time, statements not arriving, and a customer service department that literally leaves people on hold for hours on end. How can they get away with this?

Needless to say, I am not pursuing this loan any longer.
    Regards, Jim

Not you, but lots of other people.
  • JimSteel
    Options
    Newbie or not, it's seriously dishonest to give every signal that you've been accepted at the advertised rate, and then send paperwork at a higher rate with no explanation whatsoever.

And after reading the reviews of their service I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Martin does always say to be aware that it is a representative rate. When you're next watching ITV2 and you see adverts for loans, pause the sky box, look at the small print at the bottom and you'll see the word representative.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...it's seriously dishonest to give every signal that you've been accepted at the advertised rate, and then send paperwork at a higher rate with no explanation whatsoever.
    It is not dishonest.

On their website, at the beginning of the quotation page, it says
    All quotations given are for illustrative purposes only.
    And then at the middle of the page it says
    The rate you may be offered will depend on your personal circumstances, credit assessment procedures and other related factors.
    And finally, at the bottom of the page it says
    We treat all our customers and their applications on an individual basis. The APR we offer is determined by the details you supply and the loan you are applying for, along with an independent verification of your credit and repayment history and will range from 2.7% to 25.9% APR.

Pretty transparent and honest if you ask me!!! :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/interest-rates/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/personal-loans-apr-examples/
    Where credit cards or loans use a representative APR, this means 51% of successful applicants will be given the stated interest rate.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Newbie or not, it's seriously dishonest to give every signal that you've been accepted at the advertised rate, and then send paperwork at a higher rate with no explanation whatsoever.

And after reading the reviews of their service I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.

What's wrong with the 4% ?
    It's not the advertised rate but it's still good.

I'm afraid it wasn't base on your credit score but your history.

A storm in a tea cup.
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have had 3 loans with Sainsbury and have found their service to be very good. As i had a loan already running i wanted to borrow more as i was near the end and they said i could run both along side. This was cheaper as they even lowered my APR 4% to 3% I have found when on the phone to them i have always been told the rate i am been offered before the paper work came out, and it has been the same.
  • JimSteel
    Options
    Representative pah! This didn't happen when I went to Zopa. What's the point in a comparison site if the numbers mean nothing?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Representative pah! This didn't happen when I went to Zopa. What's the point in a comparison site if the numbers mean nothing?

Yes it did happen when you went to Zopa because they also advertise a representative APR. You might have been one of the 51% of successful applicants but rest assured that a representative APR was used.

If there's no one interest that's offered to all successful applicants how else would you have lenders advertise their loan rates? Rather than offering the 49% of successful applicants who don't achieve the representative rate would you prefer that they were just straight up declined instead? For the avoidance of doubt that's a rhetorical question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure