Local Govt. Transfer out ?

Options
I'm shortly retiring at the age of 60 & I am already in receipt of a final salary pension from the company I was outsourced from. Upon retirement I will also access two defined contribution schemes I also have & take the 25% tax free & drawdown the remainder.
I also have a final salary pot from many years ago when I worked for our local authority & I'm contemplating transferring this out into a SIPP. The figures amount to about £3000 per yr. pension with a lump sum of around £8,000. I was quoted a transfer out value of around £62,000 about 18 months ago & am unsure as to what course of action to take. I do realise I will receive a slightly larger lump sum but also am aware that this pension is for life & index linked, & I'll also lose the spouses pension element & also pay higher fees to any new provider & the pot could run out eventually. Can anyone help me with my decision please !

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As the CETV is over £30,000 then you have to get advice from a suitably qualified financial advisor before you are allowed to an transfer out, so best see what they say.
  • nocash
    nocash Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like a multiplier of 20 so I would leave it where it is unless you are desperate for the cash or likely to die in the next 10 years or so, in which case the CETV monies are passed on tax free.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do realise I will receive a slightly larger lump sum but also am aware that this pension is for life & index linked, & I'll also lose the spouses pension element & also pay higher fees to any new provider & the pot could run out eventually. Can anyone help me with my decision please !

Perhaps read your own post and you might find you've answered your own question! If there are so many negatives, why do it? What are you trying to achieve?
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are perhaps millions of people who'd rather like to be able to do the opposite: invest £54k to get a guaranteed, index-linked annuity of £3000 per yr. from age 60, with 50% for the surviving spouse.

You may have worries enough with your DC pensions - the worry-free LGPS pension looks sparkling value to me.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure what the Scheme's retirement age is for you but if you have reached it or are within 12 months of reaching it, are you sure you still have the option to transfer out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure