NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Simple meals for camping please

Hi all, would love some cheap ideas for simple meals for camping. Have thought of things like pasta and pesto but not really sure what else. Need to be kid friendly and preferably meals which don't require items that need to be kept refrigerated

Thanks in advance !!!128513;
Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anything that comes in a tin and is heated in a saucepan seems easiest to me.

It isn't as if it will be ever and you are on holiday after all. :D
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi smiler,

Have a look here - have a great time x

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/cat.asp?catid=5
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Our "stand bys" from carvanning days when my kids were small were "tinned can casserole" endless variations but favourites were:
    Tins of hot dogs drained and chopped into pieces, sweetcorn, baked beans,chopped tomatoes, peas, potatoes served with crusty bread to dip
    Tinned chicken in white sauce or a canned tuna, sweetcorn, peas, mushroom soup served with instant noodles or packet of savoury rice
    Tinned ham or spam chopped & stirred through savoury rice and tinned veg or replacing the hot dogs or chicken/tuna in either of the above
    Macaroni "surprise" which my kids & ex OH adored though I wasn't so keen:- 2 tins macaroni cheese, tin chopped tomatoes, 2 tins meatballs in tomato sauce, tin sweetcorn again with crusty bread to dip
  • Gem-gemGem-gem Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Mum used to take:
    Tinned stew, tinned potatoes and tinned veg.
    Baguettes, cheese, pickled onions and salad - have with crisps
    ( ploughman's)
    Fruit cake
    If you have a cool bag - you could take a couple of frozen (already cooked) pies and it could act as a frozen ice block for the first day- have the next day.
    Pot noodles / mug shots (not healthy but convenient)
    Save 12K in 2022 no 10 £4K/£15K
    Declutter and clean for 2022 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • THIRZAHTHIRZAH Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Will your kids eat corned beef hash? You could use tinned potatoes.

We always used to take something like chilli -made at home and frozen-for the first night when we camped. Then we'd just heat it up and eat it with tortillas. We'd buy sausages from the camp site shop and have them with bread and baked beans. I'd usually take a couple of tins of stewed steak- there's quite a lot you can do with that. We even made Delia Smith's frying pan pizza a couple of times. I took the ingredients for the base-just flour and baking powder if I remember correctly-weighed out in a plastic bag and added liquid when we were ready to cook it.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    When we used to go caravanning I too used to make a couple of pre cooked meals, a curry and either a chilli or spag Bol sauce. I used to freeze them and then pack them in a cool box with frozen gel packs and they would be fine for a couple of days.

Things like packets of cous cous would make a change from tinned potatoes and a nice crusty French stick is great for dunking into stews or casseroles.

Then one pot meals you can cook in either one saucepan or a frying pan. Corned beef hash, frittata. If you buy packets of precooked rice you could make a cheats risotto or paella.
  • juliettetjuliettet Forumite
    726 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fried potatoes with onions, tomatoes and eggs cracked in as a one pan meal.
    Ready made pizza base in a frying pan, turned once then add toppings.

Pasta with cheese and cut up ready sausages stirred in.
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I put food under the car. Keeps the sun off but still in a breeze.
    Getting funky on the scene
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals