Old employer owes me money!

Hi Guys, I'm new to all of this.
Basically I was working in a call centre for this insurance broker from february 2018 to june 2018. I resigned on 4th june via email (had to move city for personal reasons so never went back there to give them the letter). I was paid my final salaried wage on the day my employment terminated. I started working for Yell.com a few weeks later and I was paid a few quid from them the end of june. I understand that being paid twice in 1 month means i would of used my personal allowance and therefore would of needed to pay a bit of extra tax.

however, I have just been paid (end july) and noticed a lot of tax being deducted from me. I rang the tax man and was informed that its because CONSENGA had paid me again the beginning of july. I explained i no longer work for them and haven't had a payslip nor any money go into my bank account. I was advised to log into my HMRC account and them I saw it, they had told the tax man that they had paid me £178.85 and the tax said -£161.80. The guy at HMRC advised me that this meant they have told HMRC that they have paid me £340.65, which has used my allowance for july aswell and i havent even been paid this money!

i sent an email to the HR department but can't find a number anywhere for this company (think theyre a bit dodgy) and no one has replied to me as of yet. I called another former colleague who also left the same time as me and she has told me that the same thing has happened to her! they have said she has been paid £4 plus tax of -£172.

Where do i legally stand with this? as the tax man is now taking money off of me because they think i havent paid enough tax and i never had this extra money in the first place!

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    You, who simply didn't bother to turn up to work one day and couldn't be bothered handing in your resignation letter (or working your notice?) think they are dodgy? Astonishing....
  • Ult86
    Ult86 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Tbh your post is a bit confusing, The payment in July may have been monies owed for untaken holidays etc

As you started a new job and received 2 pay slips you may have been taxed at an higher/emergency rate.
    I would wait until the end of the tax year to calculate if you're actually owed anything as the amount will probably be not worth calculating until you get a end of tax year total.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You don't have an "allowance for July" - you have an allowance for the tax year.

What does your last payslip or P45 from your previous employer say (if you've received either, which seems unlikely as you presumably haven't given them your new address)...?
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tbf it sounds like hmrc owe you money if anyone does, albeit potentially because the employer messed up their payroll

You'll need your P45 realistically, and try to communicate with hmrc by email, I've found them really quick to respond.

How did you not have contact details for anyone at your workplace?
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • Did you give them P60?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Did you give them P60?
    Why would anyone give them a P60? That's your personal document showing income / tax paid on an annual basis. You don't give it to employers, they give it to you at / around the end of the tax year. Why do you keep posting spurious and irrelevant comments on threads?
  • Did you give them P60?

As Sangie has said the OP wouldn't need to give the new employer a copy of the P60 as that just an official summary of all tax paid and earnings earned in all employments in that particular tax year together with details of any student loan repayments made

As the OP left after the tax year they would have had to give their new employer their P45 issued by the old employer.

If it hadn't been issued by the time the OP started their new employment then a starter form which replaced the P46 should have been completed ...from memory statement B should have been ticked
  • Sorry I meant p45.... can!!!8217;t edit post
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry I meant p45.... can!!!8217;t edit post

Please stop posting wrong information - however well intentioned you may be, it leads to confusion and, possibly much worse for anyone that acts on what you write.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure