Property insurance charged by building society

Options
I have no PPI claim. I understand "plevin" applies after 2008.
My query is about COMPULSARY property insurance charged to my building society repayments a/c each year from 1967 to at least 1982. The premiums were high, certainly compared to today's property insurance rates. The building society stated I had to insure the property through them.
The building society must have received a high commission on these premiums ( the commission was never disclosed) Is there any way to claim to recover the excessive commission, similar to the Plevin ruling?
Paul

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My query is about COMPULSARY property insurance charged to my building society repayments a/c each year from 1967 to at least 1982.

You are joking arent you?

Why have you emphasised compulsory?
    The premiums were high certainly compared to today's property insurance rates.

As are many things in life.
    The building society must have received a high commission on these premiums ( the commission was never disclosed)
    There has never been any requirement for commission to be disclosed.

Plus, your assumption that high premium means high commission is wrong. You seem to forget that the process would have been manual back then. Not computerised. Staffing levels would have been around 10 times greater compared to today. Automation is the main reason prices are lower.
    Is there any way to claim to recover the excessive commission, similar to the Plevin ruling?

Who says it was excessive?
    How does s140a of consumer credit act amendments of 2006 apply to home insurance between 1967 and 1982?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The clue is the word compulsory. That was part of your mortgage agreement. There's no refund for a compulsory term.

And this was over fifty years ago now.Time to let it go?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure