Mortgage Application with Small Old Default

Options
Hello,

Am currently in the process for applying for a mortgage and have had an application with Santander declined (they do a soft-search for an AIP). When I called they said it was for a small default from Jan '16.

I was aware of this default- it's £89 for a Gas bill I definitely paid (by cheque, so cannot prove) and BG have previously refused to remove it. They did agree to wipe the debt, however, so it is settled.

I (perhaps naively!) never realised such a small default would impact a mortgage application- so would just like some guidance on how bad a small old default really is. The rest of my credit record is spotless and I have a £120'000 deposit/ 70% LTV if this helps. I will of course consult my broker, but he's on holiday this week and this is keeping me awake at night!

Thanks a lot.
May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
£2457.92 TCB.

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did your broker knew about the default when applying for DIP with Santander?
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Nope, I didn't think such a small amount would have an impact. I created the AIP online and it's a soft search so shouldn't impact my credit record.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The default is over two years old and there are lenders who will consider such cases.

On the other side of the coin, there are lenders who won't lend as it isn't three years old and others who won't lend at all.

Soft search or not, I wouldn't have put this to Santander.

Does it appear on all three versions of your credit file, or just one or two?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    It's not on Noddle, but it is on Experian. I don't know about Equifax.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£2457.92 TCB.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Bumping in case anyone else has any words of wisdom. Would it make a big difference to wait until the default is three years old?
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£2457.92 TCB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport