Student finance problems

Options
Hi! Apologies if this is in the wrong section! Il try and keep this as simple as possible. My partner is due to start uni at Cardiff Met in September. We currently live together and have done since February in a council flat. Im 26 and shes turning 21 this August. She is currently not working so I fully support her - last year I earned £16.5k and will (if nothing changes) make around 18k this year (im on 21k pro rata + commission) . SFE have said her finance must be based off her parents income as she hasnt been living away for 3 years/ we arnt married. On my income she would be entitled to £8700 a year - based off her parents income shes only due £4750 a year.

Luckily travel wise my job entitles her to free transport to cardiff however this will not be an easy commute to make 4x a week. ideally she would be living in halls during the week and coming back on weekends. The halls rent is more expensive than our flat and costs more than her student loan for the year.

Is there anything we can do to get SFE to base this off my income (bar getting married!). It seems a bit dated to me that this is how they calculate the loans. Although I can see this would potentially stop people playing the system a bit.

Any help or advice much appreciated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not much you can do apart as you say get married.
    Looks like travelling may be the sensible if not convenient solution.
  • Super_Louse
    Options
    Oh dear!

Looks like its time to go to the registry office then!
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'd wait and see if she actually needs to be in everyday. There may be days with no lectures.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Craig5056
    Options
    I agree wait and see how many day's she needs to be there my wife is studying on a full time course but it's only 2 days a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure