NI reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?

Options
overcharged
overcharged Posts: 191 Forumite
edited 27 July 2018 at 11:52AM in N. Ireland
Hi guys

Could you offer any Northern Ireland reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?

Getting married in March so am in the hunt for an excellent photographer now!

Defo want someone with an 'eye' for documentary style.

All suggestions would be truly appreciated!

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would you want your wedding to look like a documentary ?

What do you mean by that?
  • overcharged
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    Why would you want your wedding to look like a documentary ?

What do you mean by that?

Naturalistic photos of people chatting, dancing, and not posing, off-guard. In addition to the regular posed ones of course.
  • In_For_A_Penny_2
    Options
    Hi guys

Could you offer any Northern Ireland reportage/documentary style wedding photographer recommendations?

Getting married in March so am in the hunt for an excellent photographer now!

Defo want someone with an 'eye' for documentary style.

All suggestions would be truly appreciated!

We really didn't want lots of lined up, posed-for photos. (Wouldn't say we wanted a documentary/reporter style though!)

Went with Dylan McBurney as weren't disappointed. Meant we could just enjoy the day. Natural photos looked fantastic.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reportage is all the rage, but you still need the bread and butter posed shots that all brides expect. A rough geographical location of ceremony and after event may help as photographers will have favourite places and lesser known gems in certain areas of the country.

All photographers will do reportage, just avoid the ones that set their own agenda ;) It's your day not an addition to their arty portfolio, meet any photographer first and see examples of their work. Getting a Photographer and if using one Videographer that have worked together previously is also important. If you want true reportage with the usual posed shots you will also be out the expense of a 2nd shooter, so bear that in mind when it comes to cost.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • overcharged
    Options
    steveymp wrote: »
    Reportage is all the rage, but you still need the bread and butter posed shots that all brides expect. A rough geographical location of ceremony and after event may help as photographers will have favourite places and lesser known gems in certain areas of the country.

All photographers will do reportage, just avoid the ones that set their own agenda ;) It's your day not an addition to their arty portfolio, meet any photographer first and see examples of their work. Getting a Photographer and if using one Videographer that have worked together previously is also important. If you want true reportage with the usual posed shots you will also be out the expense of a 2nd shooter, so bear that in mind when it comes to cost.

Great advice thank you, much appreciated
  • overcharged
    Options
    Is there a website where there are reviews of wedding photographers? Y'know like a five star rating for an excellent service received or whatever?
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a website where there are reviews of wedding photographers? Y'know like a five star rating for an excellent service received or whatever?

Plenty of them through a google search, but remember that it is a paid advertising service that the photographer pays for and the site makes them look outstanding with 5 stars even if they aren't :o

Google, Facebook and local wedding shows are your best bet, photographers will have online presence with their own site and Facebook page to look through. I do advise meeting them in person thou and seeing examples of their work.

I know a lot of photographers in the North West and further afield and only really recommend 1 who is outstanding. I won't promote them on here as I don't want to be accused of anything underhand :o PM me if you want the details, they have great online and FB pages and are happy to travel anywhere in our wee country to accomodate your needs.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask to see photos from a recent, complete wedding in and around your budget/venue/ideas.
    Whats displayed online and in portfolios is usually a best of in terms of wedding budgets, time, etc.
    If wanting an album produced, ask to see the same, complete album, it will be the couples personal choice of images but will give you an idea of an actual finished product rather than one produced for show.

I wouldnt recommend you search for people through any internet ranking tools/searches etc. Word of mouth is the best recommendation and from someone who hired, not someone who knows or attended a wedding. I havent done a wedding in almost 10 years and still get called by people who were at the ones I did in the past asking if I still do weddings.
    A follow up to that is that you are probably up against it looking someone good for March. One of the reasons I stopped doing weddings was that people were wanting to book up to 5 years in advance! I was happy at a year or two ahead!
  • cooki2222
    cooki2222 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Check out these guys

http://www.wearethelous.com/

They did our wedding and the photos were fab!
  • overcharged
    Options
    All terrific advice and tips -- am really glad I asked now, thank you so much guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure