Beginning of the mortgage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
3 replies 620 views
Help1234Help1234 Forumite
309 posts
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
Hello, Probably the wrong forum given I have only just got my mortgage in February 2018! But I was wondering do you pay off any equity in the first few years? My mortgage payments are £521 per month. I owe £141,000 and my interest rate is fixed for 2 years at 2.69%.

If I sell in say February 2023 (5 years of mortgage), will I have built up any equity or am I just paying interest at the moment?

Replies

• madvickermadvicker Forumite
    156 posts
    First Anniversary
    Yes you do, but the proportion of interest to capital in your monthly payment is something like: £350 interest, £171 capital. As the term goes on the interest element will reduce and the capital element will increase.

In 5 years you will have paid about £12k in capital.
  • Help1234Help1234 Forumite
    309 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thank you that's really helpful - I forgot to add our mortgage is over 35 years. Not sure if that makes any difference.
  • madvickermadvicker Forumite
    156 posts
    First Anniversary
    I haven't done any calculations, just rough estimates. Search for mortgage amortization calculators and you'll be able to see the breakdown of capital vs interest in your monthly payments.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support