Options
2»

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ex requires me to share travel to his

He cant require this if you dont have a car.

and if having a sub 1K car will help you get work (and child care is integral to this), then that could help them exempt it? After all, they will get more off you if you are working.
    927 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I understand he can’t if I don’t have a car - the two top ones are main reasons. Arguably there are jobs in the town I live however in twenty years I’ve always worked in other areas as work is limited. It’s by the by really - the cab guy said he’d never had a car under £1000k not made exempt and as I’m a single mum needing to transport my child it’s highly unlikely the car would be taken.

The next obvious question is if public transport would cost the same as the car wouldn’t they just let me keep the car. Or ask that I don’t send my child to nursery.
    927 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Also how could I afford to run a car if those monies are to be used for an ipa which I assume the OR would quite like? In that respect it isn’t just the car value it’s the monthly costs surely?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,008 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    927 wrote: »
    The next obvious question is if public transport would cost the same as the car wouldn’t they just let me keep the car. Or ask that I don’t send my child to nursery.

The OR will have to allow you one or the other. It is not reasonable to leave you with no money for public transport and no petrol/ maintenance for a car.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure