We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
LGPS Added Years & The 85 Year Rule
the_seer
Posts: 44 Forumite
Hi LGPS gurus,
I have been making addition contributions to buy Added Years within the original 1/80ths LGPS scheme since 2007, and these are due to continue until my 65th birthday.
As I was an active LGPS member at the September 2006 cut-off date, my age and membership qualify me for the 85 year rule, which means the benefits I've built up to 31 March 2008 will not be reduced if I were to take them at age 60 (or over).
But does the 85 year rule also apply to my Added Years in that respect?
Or would that additional membership I have purchased be subject to a reduction for early payment, in the same way as my 2008 & 2014 scheme membership would be?
Thanks.
I have been making addition contributions to buy Added Years within the original 1/80ths LGPS scheme since 2007, and these are due to continue until my 65th birthday.
As I was an active LGPS member at the September 2006 cut-off date, my age and membership qualify me for the 85 year rule, which means the benefits I've built up to 31 March 2008 will not be reduced if I were to take them at age 60 (or over).
But does the 85 year rule also apply to my Added Years in that respect?
Or would that additional membership I have purchased be subject to a reduction for early payment, in the same way as my 2008 & 2014 scheme membership would be?
Thanks.
0
Comments
-
Assuming that you are still buying added years, and didn't switch to pension purchase, if you retire at 60 then you won't complete your age 65 contract. You will therefore only be credited with the added years actually purchased.
Added pension/pension purchase would be subject to an actuarial reduction if taken before NRA.0 -
Thanks Silvertabby.
I was hoping/assuming that my Added Years would be paid without the actuarial reduction if taken before NRA, like my normal 1/80th membership due to the 85 year rule.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
