Scottish property market

Options
2»

Comments

• bathgatebuyer
    Options
    I've been lucky in Edinburgh with right area, right time and all that definitely applying to me. The migration of people from West to East, coupled with the tens of thousands of poles moving to Edinburgh coupled with tight planning controls has meant that it still should still perform well over the coming years too.

Certainly buying here at the time I did (first flat in 1999 for £29K :eek: and again in 2001 in my present place) has been the only time in my life I appear to have exercised any shrewd financial judgement!!!:rotfl:
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Know someone who works in the biz & market is definatly slowing , a lot more FP's & properties are taking longer to sell.
    Tradionally this is a very slow time of year as well.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If property prices in Scotland are liable to slow, then I'm hoping they don't speed back up in Spring because I need to get back onto the property ladder. But having just done a search for properties UNDER £50,000 I am stunned! There are hundreds of them, and not just flats. I've just spotted a real bargain basement with an asking price of £10k!! Now I am really excited about my 2008 challenge because I don't need anywhere near 100k if I'm prepared to relocate :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    Point taken but you did say a house not a flat. Also this is the worst area in aberdeen supposedly and excouncil flat.
    travelover
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Hi there, I have, seriously, seen adverts for houses with Aberdeen addresses for under £70,000. Unfortunatley, the £68,995 one is no longer showing up but try searching online with your filter set at £70,000 and they show up. I've spotted another nice little mid terraced cottage, looks like ex-farm cottages because there are no apparent neighbours, and the guide price is only £32,000. That, however, is not in Aberdeenshire, that's in Ayrshire LOL

I need to earn, save, earn, save, work at my Cyberdosh challenge like a maniac before any of these types of bargains start being snapped up.

Also, can you define 'bad area'? Is it bad as in burglaries, drug addicts, gun crime, alcoholic fuelled murders etc? (I grew up in Wishaw area, attended school in Shotts, worked in Craigneuk - this will explain, if anyone's from Lanarkshire LOL) Thanks. :)

• JAHARVEY
    JAHARVEY Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »

Also, can you define 'bad area'? Is it bad as in burglaries, drug addicts, gun crime, alcoholic fuelled murders etc? (I grew up in Wishaw area, attended school in Shotts, worked in Craigneuk - this will explain, if anyone's from Lanarkshire LOL) Thanks. :)

LOL I know exactly what you mean!
    Done the rounds in these places:rotfl:
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    Bad as in drug dealers with the related burglaries.
    But remember offers over in Aberdeen can go for quite a bit more. My daughter has just sold a 1bed flat offers over £95000 and it went for £125000. But the one next door only months ago before the bubble burst went for £150000 also offers over £95000 exact same flat.
    We sold our last house offers over £156000 and it went for £231000
    travelover
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Hmm... I guess I would have to research the area pretty thoroughly before upping sticks and offing to a completely new part of the country, but it's a very difficult thing to do. I relocated from Lanarkshire to Aberdeenshire and was there during the horror that was September 11th - I think it was national oil week, so there were plenty of oil big-wigs still up there at the time, plus, I knew someone else who SHOULD have been on one of those planes (I suspect he got drunk and missed his flight!) but it sent major panic through the oil industry. After that, I relocated to Suffolk and ended up in the midst of a major security shutdown when the Iraq war broke out. That was followed by the murder of 2 small school girls (I lived near Soham) plus a number of lesser drug related crimes and deaths within the racing industry in nearby Newmarket. So, I think 'bad area' depends on your way of thinking. Short of seeing names in papers of people turning up murdered or arrested for serious crime, one has no idea who or where these crooks are (or have been relocated to)! Many's the time I have been amazed at the names that appear in the press because they have been reeeeeeeeeeally good customers in the past, never had a problem with them paying and they were always very nice to deal with. OK, so most of them are dead now, but does that make it a bad area? :confused: It is so getting so difficult to tell these days! I mean, just in the past year or so, I have watched TV programmes about crooks and not once, but THREE TIMES, they have featured people I knew or lived near!!! :eek: And I always thought I came from one of the nicer areas:rotfl:So it brings me to ask, is it preferencial to be neighbours with a dealer, as they are the more affluent of the 2 drug-related societies. A junkie could sink to any depths to get their next hit, a dealer is hardly going to come knocking on your door asking for a cup of sugar then holiding you at knifepoint to empty your MSE sealed pot.
    Now look what this has led to... I am now imagining some hardened, alcooholic, drug fuelled thug legging it down the street with my Phil and Cash rattling in his/her wake 'cos that's all they'd ever find in my poverty-striken rental LOL

Pigsm.jpg<<< This is 'Phil the pig' for anyone who missed him elsewhere ROFL

PS: just checked the Aberdeen flat for sale link, come on, own up, who has made an offer? LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport