Options
2»

Comments

• Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Very good comments from the others. Something else to look at is whether your council tax is paid over 10 or 12 months. Most people pay over 10 months, but if you ask them they allow you to spread it over 12 months which will also free up some money.
    Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You want to clear your debt, so why have you recently contracted to a high-end mobile deal that will cost you £960 over the 2 year term? You can get a basic SIM-free smartphone for well under £100, then a SIM only deal for a fiver a month.
    Sell the iPhone/Galaxy and use the income to purchase a cheaper handset, and the balance to contribute to the contract remaining.
    As others have noticed, your car insurance also seems very high for a £1K vehicle.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    When I was a shift worker my slow cooker was my best friend.
    The toughest, cheapest cuts of meat do well in one of these, and they are cheap to run.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Im not sure how you and your OH are doing the bills / rent but if you are splitting them 50/50 either reduce the bills and rent by 50% or include the £500 you get to make your figures balance.

It is too easy to grab a take away when you are tired after work. A slow cooker costs about £15 and you can have your food cooking whilst at work. The £15 initial cost is the same as a take away but gives you more meals.

You can pick a toasty maker up for under £10. What ever pizza toppings you are having on your take out can be done at home, grate the cheese and stick it between the bread and you have pizza pockets again for a fraction of the cost.

Your petrol costs are pretty high for 40 miles travel ie 200 miles a week. Are you buying from an expensive petrol station or do you drive a 3L gas guzzler ;)
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure