PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Pot of Tea - and a Stamp!

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Thanks for the memory, I had forgotten that my Mum used to put the top sheet to the bottom. That was until she discovered fitted sheets from Brentford Nylons .......... enough said.
    Brentford Nylons, that's a blast from the past! Don't think we ever went there but remember the cheesy ads :D The biggest before and after for me was getting duvets (we called them continental quilts)when I was 16 - it was heaven, so comfortable to sleep in, no feeling of being trapped in tucked in sheets or having untucked sheets slipping off you :rotfl:, and so easy to make the bed in the morning :)
    Has anyone seen a youngster scoot on a bike? If I were doing that I would do it with the left leg (if I were on the left hand side of the bike) ready to put my other foot through the frame and ride away. Younger folk than me seem to scoot with the right leg, stop, get on the bike and ride off. Always looks odd to me.

(Sorry if that seemed a bit convoluted, it makes sense in my head!)
    I don't quite get what you mean sorry, so I might be misunderstanding, but aren't people naturally left or right footed?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    I considered myself a young 'un until not so long ago but i' m aware the gap is very much there.

'Chip and Pin' is very much my generation. I was asked by a young girl in the pharmacy if I was "paying by chip or pin?" Er both I have a Chip and Pin card says I completely confused. The dear girl explained that the chip was for contact less payment and the pin was for if I paid by putting the card into the machine.

It dawned on my then that our world is moving extremely fast. I'm 38 and of the technological age but very much being left behind.

Well I know that (at my older age), but I did have a rather frustrating time the other day when someone insisted I MUST have "summat new technology-wise" and I don't. They were going on - and on - and on at me so much that I was getting the message they thought I was "at fault" - rather than just not intending to have it:cool: The ironic thing was that they weren't younger generation either - just a bossyboots sorta person in my own generation.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I don't quite get what you mean sorry, so I might be misunderstanding, but aren't people naturally left or right footed?

The idea is that you put your right foot on the right pedal, keeping your left foot on the right of the bike to push you along. Then when you have enough momentum, you swing the left foot over the saddle and start pedalling.

I think you only need to do this if the bike is too big for your feet to touch the ground. :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, talking of "you NEED this new tech"....

Our broadband died the death on Wednesday, so Mr LW called $ky to try and get it sorted.

He ran the gauntlet of the automated "press 1 for join $ky, press 2 for pay a bill" etc etc til he got to "press *whatever* to report a fault", then went through a bunch of automated tests; finally he got a text from an actual human...... telling him to "click on this link to answer a security question". So he texted back that he couldn't click on the link as we have no internet connection. :wall: So.... she texted back that she couldn't help him via this service, please call another number. :mad:

He duly called the new number, and got *fanfare* a helpful techie. :T Who went through more tests, and concluded it was BT's hardware (they still own all the cabling etc) that was at fault, and he'd place a call, but it could be a few days to get it fixed.

In the event, it was sorted by lunchtime the following day :T - but in the meantime, he got another text from the unhelpful girl who'd wanted him to click on a link when he had no broadband working, trying to flog him $ky mobile, and informing him they have "great deals", as she put it, on "all the latest handsets". Damned cheeky, I call it!! :mad:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    The idea is that you put your right foot on the right pedal, keeping your left foot on the right of the bike to push you along. Then when you have enough momentum, you swing the left foot over the saddle and start pedalling.

I think you only need to do this if the bike is too big for your feet to touch the ground. :)

Oh I see, thanks :) - I've seen it done, but never tried it, but then I'm so clumsy i'd probably end up in the hedge :rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brentford Nylons, that's a blast from the past!

I remember my mother buying really fancy/frilly bedding from there as well as the basic sheets.

Floral bedspreads with a quilted top and frilly valance all the way round and day pillow cases to match!

I suppose the main thing that made them so popular was they were so easy to wash and dry compared with cotton sheets and candlewick bedspreads and eiderdowns. The fact they were horribly synthetic was a necessary evil. But then, people used to wear quilted nylon dressing gowns/housecoats at the time.:eek:
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I remember my mother buying really fancy/frilly bedding from there as well as the basic sheets.

Floral bedspreads with a quilted top and frilly valance all the way round and day pillow cases to match!

I suppose the main thing that made them so popular was they were so easy to wash and dry compared with cotton sheets and candlewick bedspreads and eiderdowns. The fact they were horribly synthetic was a necessary evil. But then, people used to wear quilted nylon dressing gowns/housecoats at the time.:eek:

I think they were warm too, and nice colours, they just look awful to our modern eyes
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 July 2018 at 4:28PM
    Options
    I think they were warm too, and nice colours, they just look awful to our modern eyes

Plus cheap & readily available. I remember it was like Aladdin's cave in the shop, such a wide choice and a change from white only.

Of course there were the "knock offs" on the market, bloke giving the spiel from back of a lorry, not a tenner, not even a fiver, c'mon who'll take them home for 2 quid? And up go the hands. Those were the days my friends etc etc.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2018 at 6:11PM
    Options
    A good case of "The past is another country - they do things differently there":rotfl:

I remember those housecoats - which I now view as revolting, but I had one at the time....

Admission time - I'm still on the fleece dressing gowns that seemed such a good idea at the time - ie re-use of plastic bottles/warm/etc and we've now read that they shed fibres into our water when we wash them. Okays - what are we supposed to have for dressing gowns now please? (aka genuine question....). I know my mother has been deliberately buying "mens" dressing gowns from Marks & Spencers for some time (ie those tartan sorta more winter type ones) - as they are so "big" and comfortable. There is a snag to that though - ie Marks & Spencer no longer makes "their" level of quality - much of the stuff is now *****, rather than what we used to buy from them...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I guess cotton would be an alternative but whatever is used will create some sort of pollution either in the growing of it if it's a natural fibre or in the processing of it to make the yarn, even if they were made of felt from sheeps wool the sheep themselves produce their own pollution just by being alive and eating! This poor planet would be so much better off without people wouldn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure