PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you SABLE?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Elastic bands....so useful but I'm sure I'll never need this many.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Shoes, many unworn but I love the look of them!
    Handbags ditto
    Pens
    scarves
    coats
    black trousers
    Make up
    Shower Gel
    Mugs
    Tops
    Dinner services
    Suitcases

How embarrassing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    without a doubt books, books and even more books:):)
    plus;
    wool
    crockery
    kitchen gadgets in my cutlery drawer
    A4 plasic sleeves
    paper by the tonne
    CDs (I haven't even got a CD player anymore)
    Far too many cleaners under the sink and god knows how much food cupboard stuff and freezer stuff (but that is an ongoing job as I am eating my way through the cupboards this year along with the freezer :))
    Clothes (far too many andat last counts around 45 Tee shirts and tops They will have to go :)

I did have a cull of glasses from the cupboard a little while ago I think its time the crockery and plates took a hike as well now,

Basically far too much junk for one person this has invigourated me into doing something about it

JackieO xx
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    The lovely GreyQueen who started this thread is a highly skilled KonMarie practitioner.........
    :o You saved me the trouble of pointing this out, but I manage to be a SABLEr and a kondoista. I have minimalism as a hobby but I recently had to kondo my copious list of minimalism bookmarks when I changed computers last weekend.

Hoarding bookmarks to minimalism websites is probably a mortal sin. Or at least a sign that the white coat wagon will be coming around sooner rather than later.

Isn't there some famous quote about how the ability to hold two completely contradictory ideas in your head at the same time being the sign of a first class mind? Or was that just wishful thinking on my part? :rotfl:

Glad folks are enjoying the thread, keep 'em coming, please.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't want to rain on your parade (maybe your lottie, but not your parade) pet but definitely wishful thinking!

;)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 8:44AM
    Options
    I struggle with the idea of SABLE Books - I mean, it's like really good friends - Can you have too many? (Spare me the the lifealtering accident that reveals the right answer, there!)

Um, reusable shopping and tote bags. Yes. Too many. But the Bags for Life are so charming & affordable & frankly of all acquisitive vices I could be trying to maintain that's downright beneficial. Surely.

Mugs - yes. Shocking numbers. I give armfuls away each year (my default Christmas present being a nice mug filled with sweets, or exotic teas, or whatever I recall the victim being particularly keen on that I can afford) Yet week in week out, from charity shops, car boots & of course on feast days, still more find me.

Denby - but the lads have yet to leave home & I mean to send them out equipped to brew properly. They may coax me into parting with plates, bowls etc too - we'll see. (I can hear "Greek Restaurant" behind me...)

I inherited my grandmother's sewing notions stash - I think we've about run down her supply of pyjama ties (Grandfather had Very Strong Views about the wrongness of elastic around the midriff & even us infant granddaughters Learned) but there's still a few lengths of lace, and velcro & hooks-&-eyes & for various reasons my husband & I keep on getting the good needles and so forth. (Well, You Never Know.)

Sets of knitting wool enough to knit man-sized sweater that I won't let anyone break into in case someone *does* want to knit a sweater. Not me this decade, but who knows? Besides it's the Good wool & nice shades & matching lot numbers & all.

Plastic flowerpots - yes, I bought a banana-box-full a few years ago & still have almost all of them, none in the size I was quite thinking of, but all could be of use.

Stashes I will inherit - oh gods still more books. Rooms filled therewith. Heavenly! just administratively a bit of a handful.

Letter writing materials - I have quite a few card and envelope sets that help chivvy the sons through thankyou letters, a boxfile of postcards acquired because I liked the picture, let alone the reminders of where we've been, or of the Interesting Things... Then when the supermarket cleared its Basildon Bond airmail stationery I picked up a platoon-load for pennies & then forgot to find a platoon to write to. I've even got the onionskin pad I wrote to my boyfriend of before university to, and some envelopes left. (If ever there was a sign a relationship faltered a bit - that you still have the rest of the notepad of writing paper...)

Tools - of All sorts and sizes but all in disgustingly good nick. Himself has an eye for a device, and a strong aversion to parting with substantial sums of money, result we spot The Beloved looking a little neglected or missing a bit, & lug it home, do a Bagpuss on it & ta da - only our shop window isn't waiting for the right owner to come along, our shed is just steadily reaching the stage where I do wonder about floor loading a bit.

Chrstmas decorations - well, we did once have a really big tree & now do several small ones or I do one small one & anyway they all have History - apart from the horde of silver baubles which I "standardised on" over about 5 years.

himself has a fearsome collection of Pearson pots - the sort that say Celery or Beef Dripping on (if anything), which are stuffed with balsa strips, hacksaws, lollipop sticks, pipecleaners, scalpel handles, tinsnips, rulers, a lesser form of paintbrush and that's just the few I can recognise from over here. They aren't SABLE either - he'll use the *contents* but the pots, perhaps? <whisper it>

Ah, CDs.Nope, can't have too many of those - they are backing up the info ripped onto memory sticks & portable hard disks & archive DVDs. Does this mean techies are Allowed to Hoard backups?

I'd love to be SABLE for socks. And bedsheets - the evil toenails do dreadful things to even the loveliest threadcount. (Worse, I suspect the singlebed using offspring of nesting on our kingsize fitted sheets but I may be doing them an injustice. May.) And soap - I thought I had attained a dashed near lifetime supply, but it was eroded & now can I find proper bath-tub sized bars of Imperial Leather? Nope all the tiny sink size that slide under a limb in the rub & are lost to view, until you try to stand at which point whee slip splash thonk "you OK?" etc.
    Tins of tomatoes? In our house? With three ever-hungry teenage lads? It's an aim, but even with Costco selling me slabs of tins we keep running out.
    Husbands. Nope, libel's expensive. Mind, so's manslaughter.
    Scissors - see teenagers. Gods help us.
    Beeswax? I'd love to be. No 2 son keeps his gf's mum firmly on his side with home made beeswax candles.
    Saucepans - even the dented & damaged get used for things. And when I get around to actually spinning & weaving & dyeing fibre, then I'll need my own Definitely Non Food pans.

I had better stop. If you were thinking of knitting a loved person a sweater, and wanted rid of bath sheets and or lengths of unbleached linen, I'm sure we could negotiate something!

As for those who believe Marie Kondo and living lives of joyful simplicity - well, it's probably much easier without being married to a research historian, with three active and curious sons.
    However, I have a stash of family & I'm not parting with them willingly! Indeed the right daughters in law will be welcome allies in the presently lopsided battle of the sexes, and so long as the future is raised to be careful as well as curious, there's no reason why grandchildren shouldn't survive to informed & interesting maturity.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ties - which is especially ridiculous as I hate the things and only every wear them for weddings, funerals and job interviews.

The reason is I don't like white or pastel shirts and the majority of darker coloured ones I like are sold with ties. I own at least 20 which even if I only wore each one once then threw it out would probably keep me going for over 10 years.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :o I met a book-loving chap on holiday last month. In a bookshop, as you do. He was about my own (middle) age and confessed to a book stash which, based on reading a book-per-week, equalled a 38 YEAR STASH. And he was still buying more!

I was awed. Have just counted the soap stash and have 99 bars. Which is about 8 years' worth. Wah, I have not achieved SABLE, must do better. I bought big as these were going from 6 bars for £1 to 5. Then they shrunk each of the 5 bars, so your £1 now gets you 4.5 bars' worth compared to my stash.

DigforVictory, I feel your pain about the shrunken Imp Leather bars. Mother is bitterly regretting she didn't stock up on them before they disappeared.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good lord GQ, if cleanliness is next to Godliness, you may a bit too close to the pearly gates for comfort!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When it comes to toiletries I'm pretty good, but if I find something that really suits my delicate skin, (the only delicate part of me if you discount my sensibilities,) then I tend to hoard it before they discontinue it or change the formula. Just now it's B**t's baby soap. Even the shower gels that are supposed to be specially formulated for tricky skin bring me out in an itchy rash.

As for 40 glasses, I did have a coach party descend on me once. When they discovered that they were near where I lived they came over for a loo break. I managed mugs of tea and coffee for everyone but ran out of biscuits.
    And before you ask, no, I did not run out of loo paper. I bought it 48 rolls at a time from the cash and carry.

I forgot to mention parcel tape. Reels of the stuff.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills