Proof of address - bank statement

Options
I have to give a job I’m interviewing at my bank statement for proof of address. I don’t have a drivers and can only use what I have...

Can I blank out my balance? How it is their business what money I have :(

Also can I do the same for my utility bill - account number.

Surely this breaches the current data protection stuff?

Comments

• campbell19925
    Options
    I have to give a job I’m interviewing at my bank statement for proof of address. I don’t have a drivers and can only use what I have...

If you work for them you have to give your national insurance number, address, bank details etc. Why would they care about your account number of your utility bill?

As for the balance, of course you could blank it out, it's none of their business.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

No, because they are complying with legislation requiring them to check certain things about potential employees, one of which is proof of your current address.

They aren't interested in entries on the statement - just the address.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    If you work for them you have to give your national insurance number, address, bank details etc. Why would they care about your account number of your utility bill?

As for the balance, of course you could blank it out, it's none of their business.

Because with this current leglisatiom of personal details I don’t know why I’m being asked to provide so much with no job offer - it’s an interview. I also would like to protect myself from fraud..... one recruitment agent took a photo of my passport on his phone !!!!!!.
  • campbell19925
    campbell19925 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because with this current leglisatiom of personal details I don’t know why I’m being asked to provide so much with no job offer - it’s an interview. I also would like to protect myself from fraud..... one recruitment agent took a photo of my passport on his phone !!!!!!.

Thats weird, you implied in the first job you had the job already. I've never heard of giving proof of address etc before you're accepted to the role. I'd just go along with it, and request they destroy your personal information if you dont get the job. They are obligated to do that if you request.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Grow up and do a bit of googling. You will then see how heavy the onus has become on employers to check they aren't employing illegal immigrants (or others who don't have the right to work in the UK), under age kids etc. The logical time to do the initial sift is at interview - or indeed pre-interview - stage.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If all that is required is proof of address, tear the bank statement off above the financial bits and just take the top bit.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They don't give a hoot how much is in your bank or how much units of electricity you use. Fold the documents so that only your name and address is showing. Use a bit of common sense.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    Grow up and do a bit of googling. You will then see how heavy the onus has become on employers to check they aren't employing illegal immigrants (or others who don't have the right to work in the UK), under age kids etc. The logical time to do the initial sift is at interview - or indeed pre-interview - stage.

Grow up?

My passport states who I am, that legally ok to work in the U.K. This is much harder to forge then a bank statement.

It’s been the only form of proof I’ve needed for all the other jobs I’ve done <8 years ago.

Perhaps you need to grow up and stop giving out your information that’s personal to you. GDPR mate.

You also need to grow up and realize that people who have bills included in their rent, don’t have credit cards, don’t drive or don’t have a passport are all put at a disadvantage.

Grow up matez
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    They don't give a hoot how much is in your bank or how much units of electricity you use. Fold the documents so that only your name and address is showing. Use a bit of common sense.

Common sense? They take these original documents from me. Perhaps I would like to keep my bank balance private from my coworkers.

I also would like such details that can be used for forging identity to be kept with myself because anyone can steal it and get phone contracts etc.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Common sense? They take these original documents from me. Perhaps I would like to keep my bank balance private from my coworkers.

I also would like such details that can be used for forging identity to be kept with myself because anyone can steal it and get phone contracts etc.

Maybe apply to better companies if you are worried the ones you are applying to will steal your identity.

You have no credit history, no ones stealing your identity, and if they do they'll be disappointed, matez.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure