Remortgage with bad credit rating

Options
Hello all,

We took a mortgage to buy a house in June 2017. This was on a join account of my self and my wife.

At that time, both of our credit rating was good and there was no issue.

But we recently found out that my wife's credit rating fell down due to a default(mobile contract) and the date of default is September 2013.

As of not my credit rating is good and I am hoping it would stay same but my wife's rating is not good. We are making the payments towards the defaulted account and we are planning to make the whole payment(£370) in next couple of weeks.

We took our mortgage with a 2-year term and we are due to renew it by June 2019.

We are worried that my wife's bad credit rating would cause issues when we go for remortgage. If that's the case is there anything we need to do to reduce the risk of remortgage getting rejected?

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The ratings are made up and therefore irrelevant.

It's the detail of your files which is important. Have you checked your files, or just the scores? It will be all about the detail.
  • nthandu
    nthandu Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry.. I am not sure if I understood it correctly.

I have checked the rating which is not good.

I have looked into the details which is showing a default with a date September 2013.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The ratings are made up. Ignore them.

What do your files show? Is the only negative your wife's default? What do YOUR files show?
  • nthandu
    Options
    My credit report doesn't have any defaults or missed payments.

My wife's credit report is clear apart from that one defaulted account.
  • nthandu
    Options
    Could you please advise if there is anything we can do about this?

As our mortgage is a joint application, one of the applicant's credit rating(because of default) does impact the application?

As I said earlier, the default was listed in September 2013 and probably we would be going for the remortgage around May 2019 which is all most 5.5 years.
  • Hammath
    Hammath Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    If your wife has a default in 2013 but you got your mortgage in 2017 then it would have been seen on your mortgage application so surely if if didn't hinder you getting a mortgage then it shouldn't effect you getting a remortgage when the only difference is that the default is a year older?
  • nthandu
    Options
    Yes, but it wasn't listed in the credit report when we took the mortgage in 2017. It started appearing recently.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nthandu wrote: »
    Yes, but it wasn't listed in the credit report when we took the mortgage in 2017. It started appearing recently.

Just do a retention product with your existing lender nearer the time, if you can do that online they probably wont even run a credit search.

You cannot change the facts of the past - just clear the default ASAP and time will do the rest.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stay on lender's standard rate (or whatever you will automatically roll onto) then remortgage in September next year when the default will automatically disappear when it is six years from registration.

Otherwise, as suggested, a customer retention product from your existing lender will see you over this period.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • nthandu
    edited 13 July 2018 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Thanks for the info @foxy-stoat and @kingstreet.

I am under the impression that, customer retention product is applied separate to mortgage for the house renovation purposes. Please correct me on this?

Does lenders offer a standard rate without going for remortgage? Do I need to do anything for this purpose?

Is going for remortgage necessary? Can we ask/request lender to continue on the existing mortgage rate rather going for remortgage?

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport