Previous employer has disposed of my qualification certificates.

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I have to say, but I'm jealous of women who go off on maternity (though also appreciative that men can go off work for the same reason, but a lot less frequent). It does come across as merely being a paid holiday from work in some respects, more so when notice to leave is given shortly after maternity ends (but less so when the employee returns as normal)!
    hahaha, I'm guessing you've never looked after a newborn? :D You don't get any time off, not even to go to the loo, let alone a days hols.

Mine are now teenagers, which in turn fetches a different set of trials and tribulations but I wouldn't go back to the days when I couldn't go anywhere without them being with me.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    I organise training for our staff. The certificates are always held with me and shredded when the person leaves. We do not give out the certificates at all. We paid for the training, we keep on file. I didn't actually realise some companies give out the certificates.
    I didn't realise companies did this. The person has taken the qualification, I'd have thought they should be able to have the certificate to prove this?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I organise training for our staff. The certificates are always held with me and shredded when the person leaves. We do not give out the certificates at all. We paid for the training, we keep on file. I didn't actually realise some companies give out the certificates.

The person who completes the course owns the certificates, so I assume you gain their written permission to destroy their property?
  • Brookside88
    Brookside88 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I have to say, but I'm jealous of women who go off on maternity (though also appreciative that men can go off work for the same reason, but a lot less frequent). It does come across as merely being a paid holiday from work in some respects, more so when notice to leave is given shortly after maternity ends (but less so when the employee returns as normal)!

But to be honest, that has been bugging me from other recent threads on here so don't take it to heart OP. The system is set up in this way, and you've made your life choices. So all is well in the world.

Wow. Where do o start with this.... firstly, there is nothing holiday like about maternity leave. It begins with forcing a bowling ball out of your lady garden, often requiring stitches and feeling like your insides are going to fall out for a period of several weeks. Then there's the expectation that you'll be the one getting up at night because you don't have to work. But you spend your days tending to a tiny dictator and trying to keep on top with the endless washing up and laundry. And then in the evenings, because you're "off work", an evening meal is expected. This goes on for what seems like a decade.

And then there's the loneliness and isolation, it's such hard work leaving the house with a new born that you tend not to bother so you don't speak to or see anyone other than your partner or baby for days on end. And because you only get £550 a month you can't afford to do anything or go anywhere anyway.

Do you suggest that people just shouldn't have kids? Or perhaps put them into nursery at 6 weeks old?

In the UK we are incredibly lucky to have the system that we do but I can assure you it is not a holiday!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 June 2018 at 8:57AM
    Options

For my most recent qualification I had to sign an agreement that if I left within a certain amount of time (up to 2years after completion) I would have to pay the full cost (nearly 3K) or a percentage depending on the timescales.

If I then found out you'd shredded my certificate on top of this, I would be seriously unimpressed. I've done the work. The qualification and certificate are in my name. They are accredited and transferable - not just the NVQs, but a 3 year first aid certificate for example. Why on earth would you just shred them instead of giving them back to people - I have to agree with Prowla, it smacks of spite when people choose to move on.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I didn't realise companies did this. The person has taken the qualification, I'd have thought they should be able to have the certificate to prove this?
    GwylimT wrote: »
    The person who completes the course owns the certificates, so I assume you gain their written permission to destroy their property?
    elsien wrote: »
    For my most recent qualification I had to sign an agreement that if I left within a certain amount of time (up to 2years after completion) I would have to pay the full cost (nearly 3K) or a percentage depending on the timescales.

If I then found out you'd shredded my certificate on top of this, I would be seriously unimpressed. I've done the work. The qualification and certificate are in my name. They are accredited and transferable - not just the NVQs, but a 3 year first aid certificate for example. Why on earth would you just shred them instead of giving them back to people - I have to agree with Prowla, it smacks of spite when people choose to move on.

I'm definitely going to raise this with our HR. Until I'd read this thread I'd never even given it a thought. Maybe as I've never been asked by anyone for the certificate, I'm not sure. I don't think HR do it out of spite (I'd hope not) just the cutting down on things to keep.

I'm definately going to ask though.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,326 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Even expired certificates can be useful - proof you can take the shorter cheaper refresher course rather than the full thing over again.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Options
    I'm definitely going to raise this with our HR. Until I'd read this thread I'd never even given it a thought. Maybe as I've never been asked by anyone for the certificate, I'm not sure. I don't think HR do it out of spite (I'd hope not) just the cutting down on things to keep.

I'm definately going to ask though.

Do you charge people for courses if they leave within a certain timeframe?

Maybe it could form part of the exit interview, just hand over the certificates whether they ask for them or not. That way they get the certs and you get them off file.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    We take in the originals then photocopy them and return them to the person.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Really?.....I have been given mine for 20 plus years. That said there are companies...............and companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure